Oyster Jubilee!!!

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Oyster

Oyster Jubilee!!!

Post by Oyster »

Oyster Jubilee!

March 27, 2010. Don't miss it! Be there!

Where else in the world can you get a block long Oyster Po-boy????

http://www.oysterjubilee.com/
JRO

Re: Oyster Jubilee!!!

Post by JRO »

I could eat about a foot of that long po boy
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

J-Ro, after you get a piece of the Worlds Largest Oyster Po-boy, stroll over to Royal St. for another food event, the Road Food Festival!

From Times Pic:
ROAD FOOD FESTIAL INCLUDES UGLESICHES: The second New Orleans Road Food Festival is Saturday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m., and Sunday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m., at 300-700 Royal St., with 20 vendors including rom Louisiana and destination Road Anthony and Gail Uglesich, who are coming out of retirement to participate, and more from around the country. More info:
http://www.neworleansroadfoodfestival.com.
EatinAintCheatin

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

Oyster wrote: From Times Pic:
ROAD FOOD FESTIAL INCLUDES UGLESICHES: The second New Orleans Road Food Festival is Saturday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m., and Sunday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m., at 300-700 Royal St., with 20 vendors including rom Louisiana and destination Road Anthony and Gail Uglesich, who are coming out of retirement to participate, and more from around the country. More info:
http://www.neworleansroadfoodfestival.com.
Sorry to say but the Shrimp Ugee was a joke. For $3 you got TWO (40-50) count shrimp, one tiny 1/8" potato cube, two 1/16" pieces of cube onions and some butter sauce.

It was comical when my wife saw the place and said, genuinely, "hey, look, they're giving samples.."

Right next door the people from Maine had chowder for $5. Each bowl had 3 nice scallops, clams, some lobster, and 2 shrimp.

This is what I experienced. YMMV
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx
Mrs. Fury

Post by Mrs. Fury »

EatinAintCheatin wrote:It was comical when my wife saw the place and said, genuinely, "hey, look, they're giving samples.."
LOL!!
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

I did not even go by Uggies booth except to see if the old folks were back there. The best seller was the Texas BBQ Brisket. At 1:00, they had at least 25 people lined up. The brisket had a great smoke ring, and really looked tender and juicy. In the smoker, they had at least 25 briskets ready to be sliced. I checked out the Maine folks' "Seafood Chowder". The aroma seemed like a lobster base (just like the gumbo I had this week..yum). I wasn't sure what "seafood" was in it. A bigger joke than the Shrimp Uggie appeared to be the vendor selling Red Beans and Rice (I can't recall the vendor). At $6.00 for a mini bowl loaded with rice, and I saw no hint of sausage. That was the highest priced item I saw. How can Red Beans be priced more than Brisket, Char-broiled Oysters, Crawfish Cakes, and Natchitoches Meat pies? Don't remember the vendor, but that is Highway, or Roadway Robbery!

There was a nice sized crowd, beautiful weather, and a great day in the Quarter. For my pieces of the Block Long Oyster Loaf, I had a few samples of Antoine's, with the Foch Sauce. Great!!! And yes...the Po-boy was an entire block long.

The Road Kill, I mean Road Food Festival is going on tomorrow too. The booth selling the Wild Boar and Antelope was shut down. Guess they couldn't find any fresh Antelope!

Funniest booth of the day was Parkway Bakery. Had a basket and a sign that said "Complimentary Samples of New Orleans French Bread". Did not have a crumb in sight!

Nothing to drive down for, but if in the Quarter, a nice stroll for a few bites.
EatinAintCheatin

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

Oyster wrote:The best seller was the Texas BBQ Brisket. At 1:00, they had at least 25 people lined up. The brisket had a great smoke ring, and really looked tender and juicy. In the smoker, they had at least 25 briskets ready to be sliced.
Since we were still kinda hungry after the Shrimp Ugee we stood in line for the brisket. It was right around 12:30, while the big oyster poboy was being cut. But we still had about 15 people in front of us.

The brisket was very tender with a nice smoke. The crust was very good but the dry rub must not have had much salt. I tasted mainly black pepper. Still very good but it needed some sauce, IMO.

For $4 you can get 1/4 lb. of brisket, one slice of white bread and dress it with dill pickles and raw onions. Didn't try the Hot German Sausage for $3. This was a pretty good snack though I wouldnt stand in iine more than 5 minutes or so.

We ended up at the Hermes bar for a few beers and a comfortable seat. I love that bar...
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx