Frugal Times Adjustments

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
DivaKitty

Frugal Times Adjustments

Post by DivaKitty »

I have actually been on a budget for the past couple of years, but wondering if the economy has changed your shopping and/ or eating habits.
I did just drop about $300 at Dorignac's on Saturday, but...
In the past couple of months I have been making some sort of crock pot bean concoction each week, homemade soup about once a week, vegetarian menu once a week. I've been buying cheaper cuts of meat or what's on sale and coming up with new recipes to make them delicious, often part of the "crock pot bean concoction." Once a week I'll cook something like a casserole or one-pot dish then freeze/ label leftovers for take-along lunches.
I am also considering taking a second job to keep up with my fiance's beer consumption!:toast:
What about you?
Dilfan

Re: Frugal Times Adjustments

Post by Dilfan »

I can help with the beer consumption!!!!! ;^)
Save Money NOW! - http://jselph.MyWorldDiscounts.com
BTG

Post by BTG »

We have def. changed our shopping/dining habits as the economy has gotten worse.
We are eating out less and when we do, for the most part it is at cheaper places.
For lent I have given up eating out for lunch and this has helped out a bunch so far.
As for grocery shopping, I am watching the sales adds and shopping at Rouses more than Dorignacs and my trips to whole foods for my splurges(steaks, etc) has pretty much stopped.
My wine and beer consumption has not gone down, but the price tags of such purposes has. I don't come up with big bottles of Rogue beer or Chimay Ales anymore. I guess I will have to make due with Abita. :toast:
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

Wife is really in control these days, and has tightened the reins. When I suggest going out to eat it's like I'm trying a case before the Supreme Court. It's hard to win. Generally discount coupons (2-4-1) and gift cards (cashing in my Amex points) will win sometimes. But generally we eat at home. I'll be cooking Jambalia on Friday, and Corned Beef & Cabbage on Sunday.

I have a Friends Of NRA meeting tonight, so I get to buy a bowl of chili and a Pepsi for myself at Cabela's. :D
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

I have always stocked my freezer with "sale" meat. Generally I buy whatever produce is on sale...like artichokes till we can't stand em. I try to pick up cheeses at Sam's where they are considerably cheaper. FWIW, 2 # of fresh mozzarella is 1/2 Dorignac's price and freezes well. I also stock up on "sale" alcohol. Anyway, these practices have served me well with no economy adjustments needed. Our dining out has not changed.