Home Made French Fries...Suggestions?

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Jerry

Home Made French Fries...Suggestions?

Post by Jerry »

I've been trying different methods with a counter top fryer.
I've done the iced water soaking and the double frying but have not been satisfied.

Anyone have a good method of making french fries from scratch?
Jerry Sherlock / Jazz Boutique
JazzBoutique.net
Ann

Re: Home Made French Fries...Suggestions?

Post by Ann »

I have read if you soak in a sugar water solution before frying it makes them absorb less grease and get crispier but I have not tried this myself.
JRO

Post by JRO »

I double fried some this past weekend & thought they were great. Best method I've ever used. No soaking, just cut throw in the oil, pull out after a couple of minutes let them cool for a couple of minutes, throw em back in the oil for a couple minutes TASTED GREAT
cstoehr

Post by cstoehr »

I saw on the food channel the other day that the fries you get fast food are cooked almost done at the factory....flash frozen and shipped. They are then just quickly fried on site (mainly to heat) and that is why they are so crispy.

Also, they did a thing on egg/spring rolls........they did the quick fry thing....take out roll again in the coating and fry again just to crisp the outside. "sounded" very crunchy and also looked good on the tv.
Rex Spook

Post by Rex Spook »

Easier French Fries
From Cook's Illustrated August 2009

2 1/2 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes (about 6 medium), scrubbed, dried, sides squared off, and cut length-wise in 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch batons (strips)

6 cups peanut oil

1/4 cup bacon fat, strained, optional

Kosher Salt

1. Combine potatoes, oil, and bacon fat (if using) in large Dutch oven. Cook over high heat until oil has reached rolling boil, about 5 minutes. Continue to cook, without stirring, until potatoes are limp but exteriors are beginning to firm, about 15 minutes

2. Using tongs, stir potatoes, gently scraping up any that stick, and continue to cook, stirring ocacasionally, until golden and crisp, 5 to 10 minutes longer. Using skimmer or slotted spoon, transfer fries to thick paper bag or paper towels. Season with salt and serve immediately.
EatinAintCheatin

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

Rex Spook wrote:Easier French Fries
From Cook's Illustrated August 2009

Cook over high heat until oil has reached rolling boil, about 5 minutes.
WTF! Boil the peanut oil?????? Hmmmm, I guess this should be done inside just to make sure you cook the entire house....
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx
Rex Spook

Post by Rex Spook »

EatinAintCheatin wrote:WTF! Boil the peanut oil?????? Hmmmm, I guess this should be done inside just to make sure you cook the entire house....
Good food is always dangerous !
Mrs. Fury

Post by Mrs. Fury »

Yep peanut oil and Yukon Gold. You can't go wrong. I use a cast iron skillet and move them around as little as possible.
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com