Date night on a budget

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
DivaKitty

Date night on a budget

Post by DivaKitty »

Need an inexpensive, yet tasty and quasi- romantic place for dinner tonight. Must serve beer/wine and preferably cocktails. I'd like to be able to take a stroll after dinner. Any thoughts?
Casper

Re: Date night on a budget

Post by Casper »

I would recommend Fellini's on Carrollton. Its really nice to sit outside there in the evening (especially in weather like this), have a glass of wine, watch the streetcars go by. Not so sure about a stroll around there (although its fairly close to City Park). A drive through City Park at dusk is nice. Maybe a stroll through the New Orleans Museum of Art. Good luck!
buzd

Post by buzd »

What is inexpensive? Crepe Nanou comes to mind, but that may not be "inexpensive".
RouxTheDay

Post by RouxTheDay »

Go to LaBoca and share the skirt steak and the gnocchi..or the fries. -I'd never share, I enjoy my leftovers the next day too much which is always a portion equal to or greater than what I ate in the restaurant which just proves that you can share there and have plenty to eat.
Seriously, the skirt steak is always 2 nice sized pieces of meat and I always have enough with one of the pieces.(I didn't say I always stop:p)

Walk past Rock'n'Sake after to get your eardrums blown out on your way to Tommy's Wine Bar.
DivaKitty

Post by DivaKitty »

Ah, we used to live right by Fellini's... good times. I love Crepe Nanou, but my fiance, not so much. You have both got me percolating, thanks!

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

RouxTheDay wrote:Go to LaBoca and share the skirt steak and the gnocchi..or the fries. -I'd never share, I enjoy my leftovers the next day too much which is always a portion equal to or greater than what I ate in the restaurant which just proves that you can share there and have plenty to eat.
Seriously, the skirt steak is always 2 nice sized pieces of meat and I always have enough with one of the pieces.(I didn't say I always stop:p)

Walk past Rock'n'Sake after to get your eardrums blown out on your way to Tommy's Wine Bar.
I was thinking La Boca, but last time we went it was pretty expensive, even w/ free desert from Jared... he's so very cool! I might be able share... that's romantic.
peychaud

Post by peychaud »

If you live right by Fellini, then you also live by Cafe Degas. It's not super cheap, but they publish a $12 off coupon on their website if you order two entrees, if I'm not mistaken, or you could split mussels and a hanger steak. After dinner, you could walk to Pal's for a cocktail (or Ralph's on the Park if you want something a little more upscale).
JRO

Post by JRO »

Orleans Grapevine, reasonable price, very romantic, quiet. Nice walk back to the car before your trip back to WB
GuySajerForgottenSoldier

Post by GuySajerForgottenSoldier »

Ciro's Cote Sud. Not sure about cocktails, but good wine prices.
edible complex

Post by edible complex »

GuySajerForgottenSoldier wrote:Ciro's Cote Sud. Not sure about cocktails, but good wine prices.
Ciro's Lasagna for $10 is a steal!
After Mon & Tues, even the calendar says W-T-F!
DivaKitty

Post by DivaKitty »

Well... we ended up going to Gato Negro. I had read some good things about it lately, we hadn't been since they first opened and thought we'd give it another try. Then we'd have the Quarter or Marigny to stroll about.
My fiance ordered some cheesy chorizo appetizer dip and a Bohemia. It was ok. I was fine with the chips and salsa. The salsa was very good.
I ordered the Pineapple-Cilantro Margarita. It had a strange taste that I didn't really care for and the cilantro tasted old. I ordered the shrimp enchiladas, he the grilled pork chops. Both were tasty, but nothing spectacular. My enchiladas had nice sized shrimp wrapped in corn tortillas topped with sauce that seemed a bit dried into the tortillas, and quite a lot of melted jack cheese. It came with its own special salsa on the side which was akin to a pineapple ranchero sauce. The pork chops came with a mushroom "salsa" which was really good and earthy tasting. Both were served w/ tasty rice and beans.
I ordered the Lime Margarita next. It was undrinkable. The Margaritas taste like they use bottled lime juice or concentrate that hasn't been diluted.
The waitress was really great throughout and also noticed I wasn't drinking my drink and offered to bring me another. I got the House Margarita which is made with lime and orange juice. Better, but still with that lime concentrate taste.
Overall, really nice service... pretty good food... I'll get a Bohemia if we go back!

OK, so for next time where is Ciro's Cote Sud and Orleans Grapevine?