Peristyle Closes

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
globe9

Peristyle Closes

Post by globe9 »

I saw on the news last night that Peristyle was closing down. It's a shame, but Tom Wolfe is going to reopen in the same location with a different restaurant.

I love Tom's cooking and Wolfe's over on the lakefront was one of my favorite restaurants. I hated seeing that place not reopen after the storm, but Tom had his hands full with his home/Peristyle/and Wolfe's of the Warehouse District, which had just opened like a week or two before Katrina.

I'm sad to see Peristyle go, but I look forward to Tom's new restaurant.
JonSmith

Re: Peristyle Closes

Post by JonSmith »

I think Chef Wolfe will do a fine job and this might come off as a little weird, but I'm glad Peristyle is closing down as Peristyle and opening up as another incarnation. Tom Wolfe is a first rate chef, but he never captured the magic that was Peristyle under Anne Kearney.

I always compared the "new" Peristyle to the "old" and the new always came up short. I like Tom, I like his food - in fact I love his food - but I'm glad to have Peristyle live in my memory. I still remember the first time I ever had sweetbreads it was at the bar at Peristyle, served with a glass of Robert Stemmler Pinot Noir.

Now, if he even touches the bar....then its another story.

Anyone up for a road trip to Columbus, Ohio?
"I wonder...what the Vintners buy one half so precious as the stuff they sell." - Omar Khayyam
ToddMa

Re: Peristyle Closes

Post by ToddMa »

JonSmith wrote:I think Chef Wolfe will do a fine job and this might come off as a little weird, but I'm glad Peristyle is closing down as Peristyle and opening up as another incarnation. Tom Wolfe is a first rate chef, but he never captured the magic that was Peristyle under Anne Kearney.

I always compared the "new" Peristyle to the "old" and the new always came up short. I like Tom, I like his food - in fact I love his food - but I'm glad to have Peristyle live in my memory. I still remember the first time I ever had sweetbreads it was at the bar at Peristyle, served with a glass of Robert Stemmler Pinot Noir.

Now, if he even touches the bar....then its another story.

Anyone up for a road trip to Columbus, Ohio?

I can relate to this situatation. It's kind of like the "old" Cork & Bottle and the "new" Cork & Bottle that went back to the "new/old" Cork & Bottle.:D

Everybody has to compare you to the guy/gal before and how things just ain't the way they used to be (even if things are really good).

I'm interested to see what Tom comes up with. I'll be there.