Restaurant that you don't like that everyone else loves

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Cocktailtime

Re: Restaurant that you don't like that everyone else loves

Post by Cocktailtime »

I have been to Cafe Atchafalaya since the management change. I liked it. It didn't blow me away, but it was good.
Duke

Post by Duke »

DoctorB wrote:Every BBQ place in the city (I can't help it; I was ruined for any other BBQ by spending time in North Carolina ... and please God, don't try to tell me The Joint serves NC-style BBQ. They don't.)
I think I can be honest in this forum without offending anyone or coming off as an apologist or a self-promoting shill....

New Orleans is certainly not a good BBQ town (and I say this as a native Texan who was married for 25 years to a South Carolinian). Despite its slow-cooked nature, BBQ does not hold well for serving. A place certainly has to pretty much specialize in it and move a lot of product along (thereby constantly replenishing it) to make sure it's at its peak of flavor and consistency. There's just not the consistent demand here (or at least not Uptown) to do that -- and I think the absolute best stuff around here is done in personal back yards.

I'd agree with Ian McNulty's assessment that our place is certainly adequate -- but it's not Bywater nor The Joint. But, as he said, both of them can seem very far away when you're Uptown and get a hankering for BBQ. I think his term was "J'anita's will certainly fill the bill."

Nice (and honest) enough, but experience is a great teacher. As it is now, redfish and burger sales easily dwarf our BBQ sales. Had I known then what I know now, I'd have de-emphasized the BBQ nature of our place. Too many potential new customers see our neon sign and either come in because BBQ is what they want (and they rightly expect Texas/Memphis/KC/Carolina) or they pass us by because they assume that's all we are.

...not that I regret serving BBQ in New Orleans. Not at all -- and we certainly have our strong adherents and we're proud of that. But, in general, BBQ has never had a strong identity in South Louisiana (nor in any coastal area, far as I can tell-- and I've lived in several).

Thanks for letting me ramble. I've had a rare day off and it's given me time to think -- and that's always a dangerous thing.
;)
Dark and Stormy

Post by Dark and Stormy »

Cafe A is ok under the new owners and they definitely try hard. I wouldn't call the food spectacular or anything. Hillbilly BBQ was good pre K. Haven't been since. But I agree that for whatever reasons, actual BBQ is not well represented here.
JonSmith

Post by JonSmith »

i have strong opinions about your post, but other "forces" are hindering my typing.

Duke, let have lunch monday at your place
"I wonder...what the Vintners buy one half so precious as the stuff they sell." - Omar Khayyam
café au lait

Post by café au lait »

Duke wrote: Too many potential new customers see our neon sign and either come in because BBQ is what they want (and they rightly expect Texas/Memphis/KC/Carolina) or they pass us by because they assume that's all we are.
Guilty as charged.
Forget the apple - a café au lait a day keeps the doctor away!
DoctorB

Post by DoctorB »

Duke wrote: ...not that I regret serving BBQ in New Orleans. Not at all -- and we certainly have our strong adherents and we're proud of that. ;)
Hey, Duke. I should probably have specified that I haven't actually been to every BBQ place in town, and J'anita's is one of those I haven't tried yet. I do know that you serve things other than BBQ and have been meaning to check out your place on the recommendation of folks whose palates I trust -- I just don't get out as much as I'd like to these days.
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

On the matter of barbecue. At the risk of stepping on anyone's toes..I'll apologize now..LOL. We have yet to find anything in New Orleans that remotely resembles barbecue. NOW...let me say that we absolutely LOVE the local cuisine ...just not impressed with the attempts at barbecue. So..don't jump back at me..I might cry.

BUT, if anyone wants to try some good authentic smoked meats...come to my house. Grins...Doug's a happy camper now that he has all of his barbecue toys here. We've recently moved into a home after living in corporate housing for 9 months. He's in barbecue heaven. The testosterone level is at an all time high at our house these days. He thinks he's the barbecue king and I just smile sweetly and let him think what he wants.;)
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

kcdixiecat wrote:On the matter of barbecue. At the risk of stepping on anyone's toes..I'll apologize now..LOL. We have yet to find anything in New Orleans that remotely resembles barbecue. NOW...let me say that we absolutely LOVE the local cuisine ...just not impressed with the attempts at barbecue. So..don't jump back at me..I might cry.

BUT, if anyone wants to try some good authentic smoked meats...come to my house. Grins...Doug's a happy camper now that he has all of his barbecue toys here. We've recently moved into a home after living in corporate housing for 9 months. He's in barbecue heaven. The testosterone level is at an all time high at our house these days. He thinks he's the barbecue king and I just smile sweetly and let him think what he wants.;)
Is this really an invitation? ;)
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

Isabella Maja wrote:Is this really an invitation? ;)
Sure..what better way to make friends? You know it's bad when you're ready to go back to work so you can make friends! We've been here since September and I've not been out in the work force yet. I've never not worked so it's been hard for me. I'm a social worker and worked for hospice for about 20 years prior to moving here. I'm tired of being a kept woman..never thought I'd hear these words coming out of my mouth. Grins..I need female friends..damnit:P

Doug's great and all...but it's hard to talk about Desperate Housewives with him.
Duke

Post by Duke »

See? The best stuff really IS in someone's back yard. I say we all show up at once and insist on a demonstration.

:p