Dickie Brennan's Coconut Cake

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
PNG

Dickie Brennan's Coconut Cake

Post by PNG »

Since this cake appeared on the menu in 2003, it's been an incredibly popular dessert:
Coconut chiffon cake layered with an Italian buttercream, topped with toasted coconut, and finished with a vanilla crème anglaise by Chef Jack Martinez.

For the Cake:

9 oz - All-Purpose Flour
8 oz - Granulated Sugar
.25 oz - Kosher Salt
.5 oz - Baking Powder
.25 oz - Vanilla Extract
7.5 oz - Whole Milk
5 oz - Large Egg Yolks (Approx. 10 eggs)
5 oz - Vegetable Oil
10 oz - Large Egg Whites (Approx. 10 eggs)
5 oz - Sugar

Preheat oven to 350°. Spray the bottom and sides of a 9 inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Place a 9 inch round piece of parchment over the bottom for easy removal. Mix flour, 8oz sugar, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, mix vanilla extract, milk, egg yolks, and oil. In a clean, dry mixing bowl with whip attachment, whip the egg whites and 5oz sugar until soft peaks form. Add the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly blended. Fold meringue gently into the batter. Place cake batter into pan. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes. Do not open the oven during the first 30 minutes of baking. Once cake is fully cooled, then cut the cake into the desired amount of layers (I prefer seven layers) to prepare it for icing.

For the Italian Buttercream Icing:

1 oz - Light Corn Syrup
1 lb - Granulated Sugar
½ C - Water
12 oz - Unsalted Butter, room temperature
2 - Gelatin Sheets
8 oz - Large Egg Whites (Approx. 8 eggs)
4 C - Coconut Flakes, toasted

In a mixing bowl with a whip attachment, whip the butter until soft and pale yellow. Bloom gelatin sheets in cold water just until the sheets lose shape. Remove gelatin sheets from the cold water and squeeze out the excess water. Mix ½ oz of hot water with the gelatin sheets to melt. Add the gelatin mixture to the whipped butter and whip until the gelatin is incorporated. Reserve the softened butter for later use. Clean and dry the mixing bowl. Separate eggs, and place the whites into the clean, dry mixing bowl with a whip attachment. Bring corn syrup, sugar, and water to a boil. Using a candy thermometer, cook mixture to 235°. When the sugar mixture reaches 235°, turn your mixer on medium high speed until whites are frothy and begin to form a meringue. When the thermometer reads 240°, take the mixture off the stove and add the sugar in a slow drizzle to the whites and continue to whip until completely cooled. To help the cooling process, place an ice bath under the mixing bowl. Fold the softened butter into the meringue.
Preheat oven to 300°. Toast coconut for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Reserve for later use.

Cake Mop

1 - 6oz can Cream of Coconut
1 cup Heavy Cream
Mix cream of coconut and heavy cream in a bowl and reserve for later use. The cake mop helps to keep the cake moist and fresh.

To Assemble:

Place one layer of the cake on a cake stand. Using a pastry brush, spread a little of the cake mop over the layer, then cover the layer in icing and toasted coconut. Continue this process until all the layers are used and the cake is complete. The cake will have to set in the refrigerator for 1 hour before cutting.
AS WITH GOD, I TOO WORK IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS................
café au lait

Re: Dickie brennan's coconut cake

Post by café au lait »

I seem to remember when you posted this on TOB, someone had some sort of issue about the proportions. Have you actually made this cake using this recipe and following it exactly as it is written? I don't like to court disaster when it comes to baking. Thanks!
Forget the apple - a café au lait a day keeps the doctor away!
PNG

Re: Dickie Brennan's Coconut Cake

Post by PNG »

We have not had time to make one yet. Hopefully we will have time in the next six weeks or so. You could call the restaurant if you have any questions. They are usually nice about answering. They have made extra cakes for us when we have needed them for special occasions with only a little nudging from us. This is my GF's favorite cake, so I like to surprise her with one occasionally.
AS WITH GOD, I TOO WORK IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS................