FIGS!

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
gumbo lover

FIGS!

Post by gumbo lover »

Can't go search for old threads for this subject and since we need to rebuild food information...

Your basic backyard figs are coming in. What do you do with figs?

I'm not a big fig preserves fan. I don't make ice cream, but I should. I'm stuck on stuffing them with blue cheese or goat or feta,wrapping them in prosciutto and baking.
“It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato.” Lewis Grizzard
ChefGuy

Re: FIGS!

Post by ChefGuy »

Try this one:
Pan Seared filet Mignon with Port Wine and Mission Figs
Serves 2

8 ounce Mission Figs
8 ounce Tawny Port wine
2 ounces Clarified Butter
2 each Filet Mignons, 8 Ounce
1 ounce Chopped Shallots
3 ounce Tawny Port wine
6 ounce Veal stock
6 ounce Unsalted butter
To Taste Salt and freshly ground white pepper

Marinate the figs in 8 ounces of port wine and place in the refrigerator the day before.

Heat fry pan and add the clarified butter, sear the Filets on all sides and place in a 375º oven and cook until medium rare (approximately 5 minutes). Remove from oven and place on warm serving plate. Add shallots and the figs to the pan and deglaze with 3 ounces of the tawny port and reduce by half. Add the veal stock and reduce by 25 percent. Add the unsalted butter in small pieces and season sauce with salt and pepper. Place the Filets on serving platters and pour the sauce over. Serve with roasted or mashed potatoes and a fresh steamed vegetable.

Guy D. Sockrider, C.E.C.
Celebrity Chef Consulting
PNG

Post by PNG »

Preserves, pizza, added to pork dishes, many things. For some reason the birds are not eating all of our figs this year. The tree is loaded with fruit, but no bird attacks. This is the first time that the figs have not been stripped from the tree as soon as they become ripe.
AS WITH GOD, I TOO WORK IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS................
gumbo lover

Post by gumbo lover »

I received my issue of Fine Dining yesterday and found a nice article on figs with some recipes when I reviewed it last night. It's a pretty good mag if you see one around.
“It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato.” Lewis Grizzard
gumbo lover

Post by gumbo lover »

ChefGuy wrote:Try this one:
Pan Seared filet Mignon with Port Wine and Mission Figs
Serves 2

Guy D. Sockrider, C.E.C.
Celebrity Chef Consulting
Thanks for this recipe!
edible complex

Post by edible complex »

grilled figs w/goat cheese and lavender honey. I've had this combo on top of a frisee salad w/pecans or on a pizza w/prosciutto.
After Mon & Tues, even the calendar says W-T-F!
Cocktailtime

Post by Cocktailtime »

Suppose you don't have access to a tree? Are you just out of luck or does a place like Whole Foods have them?
gumbo lover

Post by gumbo lover »

Some folks sell their backyard harvest in the classifieds under produce or wherever that sort of thing might be listed.

I would think some farmers' markets would have them as well.
hungryone

Post by hungryone »

My next door neighbor brought over a dishpan of figs last week, and I made a fig upside down cake, cribbed from an Emeril recipe. You half or quarter the figs and cook in a black iron skillet with butter and brown sugar, then pour over a cake batter, pop in the oven, and bake until done. Just like pineapple upside down cake, but with figs. It was delicious.
DivaKitty

Post by DivaKitty »

Yeah Figs... my favorite fruit (at least right now.) Thanks for the posts. My fiance keeps asking me to cook something with the figs off of our tree, but they don't last that long around me!
Oh and hi everybody! Jon just told me about the new board.