Hello Everyone, first time poster and visitor

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
RenoRed

Hello Everyone, first time poster and visitor

Post by RenoRed »

Hi, I'd first like to say that I think these forums are just great. We are coming out next week. It's our 25th wedding aniversery. Whew! How did we do that? Anyway, we are from San Francisco, and are very much looking forward to visiting and experiencing all that NO has to offer. We were supposed to come 3 years ago, but Katrina hit 2 days prior to our departure. So we are trying again. (Held our breath with Gustuv and Ike)
Since you are all locals, we would value your input and opinions. We have 5 nights. Please help make our trip a great one with your suggestions on where and what to eat, and what or whom it see at the jazz clubs. Thanks so much.
EatinAintCheatin

Re: Hello Everyone, first time poster and visitor

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

Welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll receive many recommendations. But it would help greatly if you answered a few questions first:

Where are you staying?

Will you have a car?

What level of dining are you interested in?

These are just a few starters. From your answers we could probably give many recs.
DivaKitty

Post by DivaKitty »

Try to see John Boutte at DBA's on Frenchman Street. He's usually there on Saturday evenings, but check his website http://www.johnboutte.com
Afterward go see whoever is playing across the street at the Spotted Cat.
You can spend an entire evening on Frenchman St. in the Marigny (across Esplanade from the French Quarter.)
You came to the right place to find out the best place to eat!
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

Our favorite place for Jazz in the same area is Snug Harbor Jazz Club:

http://www.snugjazz.com/site/

Featuring (owned and/or run by?) Ellis Marsalis, father of the other Marsalis musicians, a different group plays every night.

Excellent food and bar as well. Known for super burgers, as well as steaks, cajun/creole, etc.

:cool:
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Martini menu at http://www.thebombayclub.com will knock your socks off (If you're into exotic libations). The place itself is lovely.... even if for a quick beer.

Food:

I like the food at Bombay Club. Across the street, you'll find Broussard's.... lovely. Cheap eats less than a block away at the DEJA VU.... basically a bar with kick-arse food and an amusing clientèle!

I'll be happy to email you maps, etc.... just PM me. Happy 25th! (Frisco is my favorite US destination!) :)
RenoRed

Post by RenoRed »

Hmmm...I guess a little more info about us would help in obtaining recommendations.........
We are in our early 50's and very much young at heart. We are staying right in the FQ, pretty much central, one block off Bourbon.
We aren't renting a car because many people have said we don't need one, and that NO has a very good transport system with it's streetcars, bus lines, and taxi service.
We appreciate fine dining (but being from SF) we tend to lean toward the "local's favorite", or the "neighborhood gem". As you know, SF is a has many, many good restaurants...some of the best are one's like described above. Since we are from CA, and not used to humidity, my husband refuses to go "coat and tie". How do the people of NO, dress up to go out with the air feeling like pea soup? :confused:
As for food and dining, we like everything! (well, sorry to admit..got to pass on raw oysters..but love shrimp and crab) And we certainly love spicy.
Hope this helps! We really appreciate your responses!
Oh, and I have to ask...what is the difference between a "Poor Boy" and a sandwich? They certainly sound like "a sandwhich". Bet I won't find one with good SF sourdough though....:D
Duke

Post by Duke »

The main difference between a po-boy and other large, submarine-shaped sammiches is our bread. The Leidenhemer bread folks make a French loaf that is unique in its crusty outside and soft inside, many say thanks to our local humidity. The sandwich fillings vary -- but I'd suggest trying roast beef (at either Parkway Bakery or Parasol's) or fried oyster or shrimp. And you will want it "dressed (mayo, tomato and pickles)."

Speaking of Parkway Bakery and Parasol's -- Please. Get out. Of the French Quarter. This is if you want to find the neighborhood places that have any non-tourist personality to them. Walk up Magazine St. Take the streetcar to Mid-City. Go over to the Marigny/Bywater. Your hotel concierge can tell you the highlights.

Admittedly, since our place is on Lower Magazine, we have our own point of view. But staying in the FQ would be like basing a view of San Francisco by spending all your time at Fisherman's Wharf.

We're thrilled you're coming. Enjoy our many locally-owned places.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I am not sure if you are into Zoos and stuff like that, but the Audobon Society has some great attractions as well. Our Zoo is top notch, we have a great aquarium, and and insectarium has recently opened as well. I have not been to it yet but my wife went and had a good time.
Sine qua non
EatinAintCheatin

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

If the weather is good you could take the street car down St. Charles and get off at Riverbend (St. Charles and Carrolton) and have dinner at Brigtsen's Restaurant. Brigtsen's is one of the locals favorite places. It's a little high end but you don't need a coat or tie. You will need reservations and if you want to go you should make them NOW. Any duck dish that Frank Brigtsen cooks is awesome, IMHO. And you can always take a cab back to the FQ.

http://www.brigtsens.com/
foodophyle

Post by foodophyle »

A good place in the quarter for poor boys is Johnny's on St Louis. It gets crowded at lunch, so go early or a bit later. It is only open until 3pm. The web site is http://johnnyspoboy.com You absolutely must try a po boy during your stay. I highly recommend you try at least one of the following types : roast beef, shrimp or oyster po boy.

If you can fit it in, I recommend you rent a car for one day and go to Jean Lafitte Park in Barataria, near Lafitte. They have an exceptionally good visitor's center, guided and unguided walking tours, and its all free. You could stop for lunch at one of the incredibly good Vietnamese restaurants on the way to or from the park. My favorite is Tan Dinh, but people also rave about Nine Roses, Kim Son and Pho Tau Bay. Although SF has good Asian food, I found it lacking good Viet. cuisine. The Viet. rests. in this area also have their own style of po boy sandwich which are well worth trying.

A street car ride uptown is a must and there are several great restaurants in the area, and many are a relatively short walk from the streetcar line. Brigtsen's, Clancy's, Patois, Petite Grocery, Lilette, Vizard's, Cassemento's, Joey K's.

In the quarter, consider Bayona, Galatoires, Court of Two Sisters (huge brunch buffet and lovely garden), and Mr. B's.

If you have not picked up a guide book, you should. I am surely leaving out quite a few qreat places. Also, most restaurants have web sites, so check out the menus before you go to narrow your list. Hopefully, you will come back again to hit the places you missed this visit.