Another incorrect statement by Cultural Anthropologist Tom Fitzmorris

Off Topic Discussions Go Here. Keep It Clean. Keep It Sane. Play Nice. Relax.
bam bam

Another incorrect statement by Cultural Anthropologist Tom Fitzmorris

Post by bam bam »

"Gambling is not part of the culture of our city. Food is."--on his Friday snooze-a-thon discussing why he doesn't eat at Harrah's Restaurants. Nothwithstanding his Eat Club at the now defunct Riche, of course.

1. The game of Craps was invented in the neighborhood now populated by Cafe Marigny, Adolpho's, Feelings and other restaurants. In fact the entire plantation had to be subdivided to pay for Bernard di Marigny de Mandeville's losses at the game. So, it could be said that the restaurant culture at least as it pertains to Faubourg Marigny would not exist if it were not for gambling.

2. New Orleans in the 19th century was known as the capital of gaming in the United States. As riverboats moved goods and supplies up and down the Mississippi River, they often carried passengers with lots of cash.

3. The first known game of poker to exist in the United States occurred in New Orleans in 1829.

4. The popular game Texas Hold Em is actually illegal in Texas and many of the old time Texas road gamblers who were tired of having their games busted, traveled to Louisiana where they could safely play an honest game.

Is TF right about anything?
globe9

Re: Another incorrect statement by Cultural Anthropologist Tom Fitzmorris

Post by globe9 »

"Is TF right about anything?"

I doubt it. I still listen to old Fatzmorris though. It is quite amusing to hear him contradict himself often, listen to his pompous rants, and hear the morons he calls listeners(Clark, the gourmet truck driver, for one) call in and actually CARE what TF thinks.

Always thought his stance on Harrah's was hypocritical, especially since his Eat Club at Riche, which at the time he thought was a "great" restaurant. As soon as it closed down, I've heard him say that it was no great loss and that the restaurant was no good. Guess it was only good when they were paying him to have an Eat Club there. Why doesn't he just come out and say his Eat Clubs are nothing more than restaurant advertisements. The restaurant PAYS TF to hold his dinners there and have him spew on the radio about how great the place is...and lately, it's the same couple of restaurants OVER AND OVER...Impastato's anyone? If it's really NOT a paid gig, how come he never has Eat Clubs at places like Emeril's, Commander's, La Boca, August, etc. Could it be that they don't need TF's services?

Ok this TF rant is over for now :D
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

Come on now! You know Tom doesn't make any money from those Eat Clubs. He just eats with strangers at middle of the road restaurants because he enjoys it.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Food is all he knows. When it comes to the culture and history of this city is blinded by the only thing he knows about - food.
Sine qua non
GuySajerForgottenSoldier

Post by GuySajerForgottenSoldier »

Good catch, Bam. I do so wish I could still hear his radio program. Humming for 4 hours. Shilling for the Brennans. Chatting with Clark the truck driver. How do I survive without my weekday dose of the Dean?
Rollista

Post by Rollista »

Did you hear him say that they're going to increase the Impastato's Eat Clubs from 4/year to 6?
PNG

Post by PNG »

Why does tf use subordinary stars in his ratings instead of something more original and New Orleansy like beans or crawfish?
AS WITH GOD, I TOO WORK IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS................
GuySajerForgottenSoldier

Post by GuySajerForgottenSoldier »

PNG wrote:Why does tf use subordinary stars in his ratings instead of something more original and New Orleansy like beans or crawfish?
Or blue Thoth doubloons? He was born on MG, don't ya know...
PNG

Post by PNG »

Has he ever produced the birth certificate?
AS WITH GOD, I TOO WORK IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS................