Mold Help

Off Topic Discussions Go Here. Keep It Clean. Keep It Sane. Play Nice. Relax.
ChoWeb

Mold Help

Post by ChoWeb »

Hi all,

While getting prepared to move cross-country in two weeks, I went down to my storage unit in my apartment complex. I had noticed some of the cardboard boxes were a little wet, but its a basement so that didn't surprise me all that much. When I pulled out one of the rubbermaid containers filled with keepsake ornaments I've had since childhood, water came spilling down on me. On closer inspection, the box itself is filled with water and all the contents are covered in black and white mold. I know it is a total loss which is heartbreaking to lose all of that stuff.

What I'm not sure about is the other things in the storage unit. Its a small unit, only about 5'x5', and I had my luggage down there too (probably a grand worth). I don't see mold on these items, but I have to assume that they got wet as well, given that there was signs of water damage all around them. Are they a lost cause? Should I try to clean them?

Any advice would really be appreciated. I have renter's insurance, but if I can salvage the luggage, I won't submit it.
justagirl

Re: Mold Help

Post by justagirl »

Can the keepsakes be cleaned?
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
ChoWeb

Post by ChoWeb »

justagirl wrote:Can the keepsakes be cleaned?
No. Most were wood or other handmade ornaments made from wood, silk and other things that people gave me over the years. I don't think they can be cleaned. I think the mold has been growing for several months before discovered.

I'm considering the contents of that box a loss. The water is still several inches deep inside of it and a deep brown color. I'm really sad about it, but trying to remember it is just "things." I still cried a little. They were memories of some family and friends that are long gone.

I just don't know if that box is destroyed and was in the center of the pile (just seeded to somehow collect the water inside), how much of the problem there with the rest of the contents of the storage unit. Losing things I loved really stinks, but I actually needed that luggage for my move. I'm going to be flying down to NM in two weeks and will have to live out of a suitcase for at least a week, maybe more until I can find a place to live.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

Sorry for your loss.

There's some spray at Home Depot...I forget what it's called...hopefully someone will chime in. It might work to clean the luggage. I assume it's a cloth material.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
ChoWeb

Post by ChoWeb »

Thanks JAG. I do too. I'll head to Home Depot to see if I can at least salvage my luggage.

I got a little concerned when I went to check the EPA's recommendation for cleaning this kind of stuff, and it says I should be wearing rubber gloves, respirator and goggles, while putting up protective plastic. The storage is right beneath other apartments and so of course, I'm thinking about the health of the people that share that building.
LauraMc

Post by LauraMc »

Are you in an area where you can lay your luggage out in the sun? Don't spend money on some commercial preparation. Mix 1 part bleach to 10 parts water and wipe your luggage down (don't soak it - just wipe lightly), then leave it in the sun to air dry. If it's dark luggage, test a spot first to make sure your bleach is weak enough not to fade it.
My mother did this after our water heater leaked when I was a kid and her dolls and things from childhood were in there.
Titchou

Post by Titchou »

I second LauraMc's suggestion.

And I also feel for you moving to Las Cruces. I have a friend who has to visit there on business and she hates the place...and El Paso as well. Not much worth anything going on either place. Maybe your love of the flora and fauna will make it better for you. I certainly hope so!
For the Colonel's Lady and Judy O'Grady
are sisters under the skin.
ToddMa

Post by ToddMa »

Toxic Mold is rare. If you can clean it, you won't have a problem.

I don't want to get into a comparison with Global Warming but the Hype with Mold is far greater than the danger.

This is based on my dealings with this on a daily basis in my profession. Toxic Mold is real and can make you sick, but it is extremely rare.
ChoWeb

Post by ChoWeb »

Thanks everyone!

I did manage to salvage the luggage, and clean up the mess. I used a bleach dilution, and I think that did the trick. Thanks for the reassurance, Todd. I think what you are saying makes sense considering what I read on the EPA about cleaning up mold. The keepsakes were a total loss, but I try to tell myself it just means I have less to move.

Rachel
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

As a "high desert" dweller, in Reno, I can maybe give you a little good news.

Las Cruces will be much dryer heat and general weather than New Orleans. More comfortable than high humidity, and little or no mold.
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."