Bam Bam Gets Morel Mushrooms Amazes Justagirl With His Culinary Ability

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
bam bam

Bam Bam Gets Morel Mushrooms Amazes Justagirl With His Culinary Ability

Post by bam bam »

So I found myself at the Metairie Whole Foods yesterday and with $15 burning a hole in my pocket, I picked a lb of morel mushrooms. I wasn't a 100% sure what to do with them but after eating Josh's porcini mousse at the A Mano prefix the other night, I decided to try something similar.

So I did a very small dice of an onion. I then sliced the morels julienne style (for lack of a better term. I then sauteed them in about half a stick of butter with some fresh thyme. After the morels cooked down, I added some cognac and flambeed it (almost going all Michael Jackson in the process) and let it cook down until it was a thick syrup. At this point, I had about 1/4 cup of cream and let it cook down some more before adding some grated Parmesan. Once the parm was blended in, I took the mixture off the heat and let it cool. After that, I used my immersion blender and turned the mixture into a thick paste. I wrapped the paste in saran wrap and stuck it in the freezer for about 45 minutes and it expanded and turned into a gorgeous mousse. I served it to JAG on grilled bread. Probably the best thing I ever made and I did it without a recipe.
Shep

Re: Bam Bam Gets Morel Mushrooms Amazes Justagirl With His Culinary Ability

Post by Shep »

Were these morels dried or fresh? How big were they? I love Morels but they are hard to find fresh. If truly fresh, very little needs to be done to them except to be sauteed in butter w/ salt and pepper. I have used them over veal or filets dried, by re-constituting them in port but I do not cut them up, if large maybe just in half.
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

Sounds great BAM. My personal belief is that if you have developed some somewhat sophisticated taste buds, and learn a few techniques, the best dishes are those you just do. I have made fabulous stuff by just follwoing my instincts.
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

Shep,

They were fresh morels. I am not a huge fan of dried mushrooms. Although, I use them somewhat regularly.
willifred

Post by willifred »

I like to saute the shiitake mushrooms from the C.C. farmers market in good olive oil, just a touch of smashed garlic (not much) and finely chopped parsley and salt....the amount of salt is crucial. I like the grey salt from Brittany best. Before you start to cook the shrooms, separate a farm egg (storebought won't do), and put the yolk in a large spoon. Put spoon by the eye you're cooking on. When finished cooking the mushrooms, put the spoon in the middle of the pan. As you start to dip them in the yolk, it will slosh over into the oil mixture and create a fantastic flavored sauce.One of the most simple things to make, but it's outrageous.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Bam, that sounds really good, how could JAG not love it. I will have to say that almost anything sauteed in 1/2 stick of butter and thyme would be good in my book. You have given me a good idea. Since I don't have any cognac I would have to leave that out, but following your directions exactly up to the point where you added the cream and more parmesan, I would stop there and pour it over a bowl of hot buttered pasta. Put some candles on the table, pour some wine and dinner is served.

Thanks for giving me a good idea, I love mushrooms and would like to try some Morels.
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

willifred wrote:I like to saute the shiitake mushrooms from the C.C. farmers market in good olive oil, just a touch of smashed garlic (not much) and finely chopped parsley and salt....the amount of salt is crucial. I like the grey salt from Brittany best. Before you start to cook the shrooms, separate a farm egg (storebought won't do), and put the yolk in a large spoon. Put spoon by the eye you're cooking on. When finished cooking the mushrooms, put the spoon in the middle of the pan. As you start to dip them in the yolk, it will slosh over into the oil mixture and create a fantastic flavored sauce.One of the most simple things to make, but it's outrageous.
That sounds wonderful!
What do you mean "by the eye you're cooking on"?

Do you mind if I share your recipe with the Shiitake mushroom lady at the Cresent City Farmer's Markets? She is a good friend of mine <I actually turned her on to that gig> & I a while back I suggested she get some new recipes to hand out!

Agreed with the pasta addition to Bam's creation.
Altho, Bam's method sounds good too . . . .

Chef Pete used to do a creamy wild mushroom on toasted bread that was out of this world. I would love to have his version again & the recipe!
willifred

Post by willifred »

Isabella Maja wrote:That sounds wonderful!
What do you mean "by the eye you're cooking on"?

Do you mind if I share your recipe with the Shiitake mushroom lady at the Cresent City Farmer's Markets? She is a good friend of mine <I actually turned her on to that gig> & I a while back I suggested she get some new recipes to hand out!

Agreed with the pasta addition to Bam's creation.
Altho, Bam's method sounds good too . . . .

Chef Pete used to do a creamy wild mushroom on toasted bread that was out of this world. I would love to have his version again & the recipe!

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Isabella....the "eye' is the burner on the stove. I suppose you could do the same on an electric one, but why in the hell would you have an electric stove in the first place. By placing it near the flame, you warm the yolk without actually cooking it.....by all means, share this with the shiitake lady...it's her shrooms that I usually am using. I'll introduce myself the next time I see her.
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

Shiitake mushrooms warning!

About a year ago I purchased a large bag of dried shiitake mushrooms, at a very reasonable (cheap) price, at Costco. Tried to use them numerous times with many versions of reconstitution - water soak, cooking in broth, simmering in butter/wine, combinations of all previous. Even with overnight soaking, we never found a way to truely soften them beyond beyond a "top round steak" consistancy. Eventually after 8-10 attempts, I trashed the remainder. :( :covri:
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

willifred wrote:

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Isabella....the "eye' is the burner on the stove. I suppose you could do the same on an electric one, but why in the hell would you have an electric stove in the first place. By placing it near the flame, you warm the yolk without actually cooking it.....by all means, share this with the shiitake lady...it's her shrooms that I usually am using. I'll introduce myself the next time I see her.
Wow! Well, I love learning something new! I'd never heard that term "the eye" before, but I do use that method for lots of different things!

Willifred, since it is your recipe, you know, she would be just tickled if you brought her a copy next time you got some mushrooms from her!
I can't wait to try yours, Willifred. Do you serve this with anything in particular?

She'd love it if all of you brought her some of your personal mushroom recipes! Ones you really use...

I won't tell I sent you & this could be fun!