Let's talk about food.

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
ratcheese

Re: Let's talk about food.

Post by ratcheese »

Lately, we have been in a neighborhood dining rut. We live in the Uptown/Riverbend area, so its far too convenient to walk up to Hanna for Sushi, Refuel for breakfast, Lebanon, Jasmine for Vietnamese, etc.,

All of the above are nice places, if you're ever in the area, though I doubt I would recommend driving across town for any.

In keeping with Jodyrah's comments, my wife bought a juicer a couple of months ago, and she has lost over 20lbs using fresh juices as meal replacements. But man, its been hard on my cravings. She will go with me for something small as long as its not much after 6pm. But thats it.
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

ratcheese wrote:Lately, we have been in a neighborhood dining rut. We live in the Uptown/Riverbend area, so its far too convenient to walk up to Hanna for Sushi, Refuel for breakfast, Lebanon, Jasmine for Vietnamese, etc.,

All of the above are nice places, if you're ever in the area, though I doubt I would recommend driving across town for any.

I drive "across town" to Lebanon I think it's very good.

Maybe you should drive across town to a new place (that you're not too used to)....This city certainly has a bounty of choices that's for sure!...
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

ratcheese, do you go to Ciro's Cote Sud? I love that place.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

justagirl wrote:ratcheese, do you go to Ciro's Cote Sud? I love that place.
Absolutely. I recommend it to people who have never heard of it occasionally and they all come back with a big Thanks. Some even go especially for the Pizza and they rave over it (non-NYC style)

I had a discussion the other day with a friend, regarding the lack of small, casual to semi-casual, even bistro type atmospheres here in town.

It seems like you almost have to go all out to get really good food here in town. The little places like Ciro's and Crepe Nanou are rare in NOLA and that's a shame because they have that lite, bistro, or neighborhood feel that makes it easy and fun on a whim.

(Not saying they are up with the elite, but both can be very good if you know what they do well. My wife loves the mussels at Crepe Nanou, for instance.)

I have had service issues at Cote Sud, I will say that. I warn people to expect casual service.

Thanks for reminding me! Maybe I can talk her into going for a early-bird special. :rolleyes:
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

ratcheese,
Just curious, what part of the country did you grow up in?
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

Ciro's blue cheese grilled oysters are delicious. Lasagna and pizza (for NOLA)are good as well.

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Laura, omit the hoisin in the marinade but use it in the sauce. I prefer my chicken in small cubes (boneless thighs are more tender than breast) I cut the red bell into sm. cubes and add cubed onion as well. Just keep all shapes the same. I've even added pieces of steamed asparagus. I double the sauce and substitute splenda for the sugar. (for 3T sugar use 4 packs splenda) Adjust to your taste. I usually double the sauce in Chinese recipes. Never enough as is.

http://www.emerils.com/recipe/7870/Kung-Pao-Chicken

low carb cocktails: Instead of sour mix, simple syrup or Rose's lime juice, use fresh juice or water and add splenda. I've got a bottle of liquid sweet and low that also works well for drinks. Don't know if they still make this. Found it in my pantry...probably been there for years.

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

Ratcheese, My ojex juicer sits on my counter. I could not live without it. I use copious amounts of lime and lemon juice. Orange juice only if it's freshly squeezed. Don't know that I could be happy drinking a meal. However,
we've been eating this Chinese for less than a week. My husband moved back into his 34s (from 36, so no big jump).
Gourmondo

Post by Gourmondo »

Ms. G and I went to Coquette last night. We had three small plates - roast oysters with a horseradish and bacon based sauce atop, fried shrimp tempura style with a sweet-spicy sauce and crab fritters. All of these were in a lovely presentation but none were more than just OK to me as far as taste. Ms. G liked the crab fritters best and I would agree with that. She had the ribeye with mashed potatoes and demiglace and I had the roasted duck breast on a bed of collard greens and duck confit. The duck confit in particular was very good. The duck was good but needed something sauce-wise to make it shine. The steak was very good. The lovely lady had her usual cab by the glass and I had a couple of glasses of Veuve Clicquot. We skipped dessert. The service was excellent despite them being packed and having several large groups in the upstairs room. I will try it again, but had nothing on this outing that really called to me to return soon.

Otherwise, had a great lunch at Cafe Mihn this week - we had glazed chicken, salmon salad and the escolar with veggies. Unlike some, I have no issues with escolar. CM is a regular stop for me, at least once a week.

Another recent lunch stop was El Rinconcito on N. Carrollton between K-Jean's and Brocato's. Had an enormous portion of carne asada and rice there for lunch recently along with salad and black bean soup. It is no frills dining and the food is fairly pedestrian, but the value can't be beat. I was the only Anglo there the day I went. The front room is a bar and the dining area is in the back. My server spoke minimal English, but we signed our way through some questions.

Last weekend I took my two favorite Moms to Geno's in Orange Beach. The beach was still beautiful, but the booms were out at the pass bridge. Maybe they will luck out and get by with minimal damage. Geno's was pretty good, but not as good as when they were up on the beach highway. Hopefully they won't be jinxed by the move to the marina. The view at dusk was wonderful. On the Florida side, we also dined at the little Sunset Cafe by Holiday Harbor marina. We had fried fish and shrimp, beer and a great view of the boats and the sunset going down over Old River. Very casual, but better-than-average quality and imagination for beach fare.
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

Cafe Minh is one of the ten best restaurants in this city. Gourmondo, you are quite the adventuresome diner. I have been by El Rinconcito a whole bunch. Have yet to find the motivation to enter. Perhaps, I don't want to spend the afternoon on the can?
paz5559

Post by paz5559 »

ratcheese wrote:Lately, we have been in a neighborhood dining rut. We live in the Uptown/Riverbend area, so its far too convenient to walk up to Hanna for Sushi, Refuel for breakfast, Lebanon, Jasmine for Vietnamese, etc.,

In keeping with Jodyrah's comments, my wife bought a juicer a couple of months ago, and she has lost over 20lbs using fresh juices as meal replacements. But man, its been hard on my cravings. She will go with me for something small as long as its not much after 6pm. But thats it.
You live in a neighborhood full of places worth exploring:

One, Sara's, Barcelona, Saltwater Grill, Maple St. Patisserie, and Pupuseria La Macarena are the first ones I come up with off the top of my head

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

LauraMc wrote:A co-worker said she tried Fat Hen Grill since they moved to the new location and it was much better. We had both sworn it off after a few bad breakfast and lunches there.
Have been twice. Staff is VERY accommodating now (vast change from their Citrus location). breakfasts are still kinda hit or miss - they continue to be heavy-handed with salt.
"We dance when there is no music. We drink at funerals. We talk too much, and live too large and, frankly, we’re suspicious of those who don’t." -Chris Rose
Gourmondo

Post by Gourmondo »

bam bam wrote:Cafe Minh is one of the ten best restaurants in this city. Gourmondo, you are quite the adventuresome diner. I have been by El Rinconcito a whole bunch. Have yet to find the motivation to enter. Perhaps, I don't want to spend the afternoon on the can?
If you're queasy, the secret I have learned traveling in third world countries is always to be sure you can see them cooking the food! I had an open view of the grill so I felt OK about it. Another good sign is when you hear your dinner being slaughtered out back of the restaurant. Always a sign of freshness.

I had some great food a couple of weeks ago in Costa Rica. They don't qualify as third world, but they do have some offerings in the fruit and seafood departments that are rather unique. Maybe your girlfriend will take you there some day.