The Latino Corridor (Williams Blvd.)

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
EatinAintCheatin

The Latino Corridor (Williams Blvd.)

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

I'm looking for a good Latino lunch rec in this area. I've been to Taqueria Sanchez and the Brazilian Market many times and am looking for some other places. Anyone got any gems they'd like to share?
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx
BobRSnow

Re: The Latino Corridor (Williams Blvd.)

Post by BobRSnow »

Fiesta Latina
1924 Airline Drive. Kenner. 469-5792. Just around the corner at Williams & Airline.

They've been around "forever." I've eaten a lot of different dishes there. Great pork pupusas. You'd think you were sitting in a little cafe in El Salvador. I should know.
paz5559

Post by paz5559 »

Norma's Sweet Shop
3221 Georgia Ave., 504.467.4309
http://blog.nola.com/brettanderson/2009/02/norma.html
"We dance when there is no music. We drink at funerals. We talk too much, and live too large and, frankly, we’re suspicious of those who don’t." -Chris Rose
EatinAintCheatin

BobRSnow wrote:Fiesta Latina
1924 Airline Drive. Kenner. 469-5792. Just around the corner at Williams & Airline.

They've been around "forever." I've eaten a lot of different dishes there. Great pork pupusas. You'd think you were sitting in a little cafe in El Salvador. I should know.
I have been there once, a very long time ago. I used to go to the place frequently, years ago when it was Monday's restaurant.

I'll give it another try.
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx
willifred

Post by willifred »

I strongly second Norma's......
EatinAintCheatin

paz5559 wrote:Norma's Sweet Shop
3221 Georgia Ave., 504.467.4309
http://blog.nola.com/brettanderson/2009/02/norma.html
Just finished a Cuban Sandwich. Definitely one of the best I've had in a long time. Perfectly cooked, tender pork, ample cheese and the bread was crispy and chewy (a dichotomy not often achieved) at the same time...just the way it should be. Flattened with butter to give it that golden delicious look and taste. Be warned, they don't put pickles and mustard on their version. If you want it you must ask.

I also picked up a tamale brick (it weighs a ton) which I thought I'd have for breakfast tomorrow morning. Then I realized that tomorrow is Friday (Lent), so I'll have to wait until Saturday.

Cuban Sandwich - $5.50
Tamale - $3.50

Great rec.... thanks!!
EAC
- Redd Foxx
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

EatinAintCheatin wrote:Just finished a Cuban Sandwich. Definitely one of the best I've had in a long time. Perfectly cooked, tender pork, ample cheese and the bread was crispy and chewy (a dichotomy not often achieved) at the same time...just the way it should be. Flattened with butter to give it that golden delicious look and taste. Be warned, they don't put pickles and mustard on their version. If you want it you must ask.

I also picked up a tamale brick (it weighs a ton) which I thought I'd have for breakfast tomorrow morning. Then I realized that tomorrow is Friday (Lent), so I'll have to wait until Saturday.

Cuban Sandwich - $5.50
Tamale - $3.50

Great rec.... thanks!!
EAC
EAC, do you know what kind of tamal it is?
Can't wait to try Norma's!
EatinAintCheatin

Isabella Maja wrote:EAC, do you know what kind of tamal it is?
I left it in the fridge at work. Gonna have it for breakfast Monday morning. I'll let you know. They told me what's in it but I can't remember. I do remember pork and potatoes. But I'm sure there's other stuff.
- Redd Foxx
EatinAintCheatin

Isabella Maja wrote:EAC, do you know what kind of tamal it is?
Had it for breakfast this morning. It had pork, peas, white potatoes, a couple green olives and orange masa inside. The outside was made of white masa and partially wrapped in a banana leaf (mostly for tradition I would suspect). It is very dense and will easily hold you until lunch if you eat the entire thing.

I enjoyed it though I would have liked the ratio of inside ingredients to masa to be greater.
- Redd Foxx