Neyow's on Jeff Davis

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
willifred

Neyow's on Jeff Davis

Post by willifred »

Had lunch at this new little creole place Monday. It is the old Cafe Roma across from the closed hospital,at Jeff Davis and Biennville. It was very good all around. The place had an interesting mix of people and lots of cops, which is always a good sign. Being Monday, I obviously had red beens and rice, with fried chicken. The chicken was REALLY GOOD. This place reminds me of Lil Dizzy's or even a small Dookey Chase. Well dresseed staff, prompt service, strong drinks and good food....just like it should be. They have daily specials listed that looked like they should be tried and sorted out to see what the gems are.....I definately will be going back!!!
Blue Cross Sux

Re: Neyow's on Jeff Davis

Post by Blue Cross Sux »

I've been, too. You're right about the mix of people. Downscale, regular white and black folk; a smattering of cops; imperious, haughty, older black women looking down their noses at others -- a cross section of the public you only find at these upscale, white table cloth type creole joints.

The food was indeed pretty good. My friend had the fried catfish. I had the sauteed cat with okra dressing and salad. The presentation was nice. The waitress couldn't have been sweeter. I do feel the need to point out both I and my friend got a bad case of the evacuations soon after we left. We suspected it was the creole dressing. In addition, the prices are a bit higher than one might expect, but I'd go back.
Pas Bon

Post by Pas Bon »

Blue Cross Sux wrote:got a bad case of the evacuations soon after we left.
Bwahaha! Nice descriptor.
Gourmondo

Post by Gourmondo »

I had watched this renovation going on for some months so was glad to see it open and that a few of you made it there before me to test it for me. I went Monday and had the red beans special with the grilled pork chops. This is just a good home cookin' kinda place, nothing stellar, just straight-on comfort food done reasonably well. Huge plate of food for < $10. Clean, good service, friendly staff, several NOPD in attendance. No GI issues for me. Typical Creole stuff on the menu - fried chicken, smothered okra, greens, smothered chicken, etc. Not "worth a journey", but since one of my workplaces is in the area, I'll definitely be back.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Blue Cross Sux wrote: I do feel the need to point out both I and my friend got a bad case of the evacuations .
Was it a mandatory evacuation?

:toast:
Jerry Sherlock / Jazz Boutique
JazzBoutique.net
cstoehr

Post by cstoehr »

Jerry wrote:Was it a mandatory evacuation?

:toast:
LOL

oh my infernalin guts.............
EatinAintCheatin

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

Mandatory evacuation is such a strong term. It was probably more like an involuntary evacuation.

But..

Did it open up the contraflow or did all the traffic stay low?
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx