Liberty's Kitchen

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
bam bam

Liberty's Kitchen

Post by bam bam »

A kool aid drinking public defender invited me to lunch here yesterday. My initial reaction was "there's no such restaurant named Liberty's Kitchen. Is that what you call the microwave in the office's lunch room?"

Alas it turns out to be a real restaurant on Broad, a block from Tulane Ave. It is based on the Cafe Reconcile model of teaching young people the skills they need to work in the restaurant industry. Only the people who work there are on probation.

The food is cooked to order, everything is made from scratch. DC had the special which was meatloaf, mashed and glazed carrots. He said the carrots were great. Meatloaf was good and mashed left a little to be desired. I had the chicken and andouille gumbo. It was the brothier type that seems to be losing popularity. I enjoyed it. Then I had a roast beef and Swiss on ciabatta. It comes with what they call cajun caviar. Essentially a cold black eyed pea salad with peppers. Huge fan of the side.

Anyway, the people who run the place are super nice and were really interested in what we thought of the food.

Huge props to this place. Highly recommended!!!!