Al Gore is my idle

Off Topic Discussions Go Here. Keep It Clean. Keep It Sane. Play Nice. Relax.
PNG

Re: Al Gore is my idle

Post by PNG »

Sorry. I thought Obama had done that. I feel so ashamed...................
AS WITH GOD, I TOO WORK IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS................
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

Checkout his gas guzzling plane and energy guzzling estate.

How about a simple Biology lesson. Plants take in (live on) carbon dioxide and release oxygen as a plant waste product. People (animal life) take in (live on) oxygen, and release carbon dioxide as a waste product. Remove the CO2 and the plants will die. Then what will happen to us?
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
PNG

Post by PNG »

A few facts for Gore to use on picking his next project to save the world:

The following is a list of causes of death in the USA for the past ten years along with number of people killed in the USA over that time period by each:

Y2K: 843,900,271
SARS: 1,873,023,001
Ozone Depletion: 7,992,200,348
Alien Abduction: 872,901,027
Thermal Nuclear Attacks: 982,871,123,042
Terrorist Attacks: 681,922,304
Legionaire's Disease: 76,194,065
Anthrax: 8,071,520,001
Illegal Alien Attacks: 34,000,837
Genetic Engineering: 127,320,981,003
Ebola: 999,999,999,992

There are many other causes, but I think that this list will give him a starting point.
ChoWeb

Post by ChoWeb »

Schuarta wrote:How about a simple Biology lesson. Plants take in (live on) carbon dioxide and release oxygen as a plant waste product. People (animal life) take in (live on) oxygen, and release carbon dioxide as a waste product. Remove the CO2 and the plants will die. Then what will happen to us?
If by simple, you mean so oversimplified its wrong? No one is suggesting that we "remove" CO2 entirely. That's impossible unless we all stop breathing!

I'll agree Al Gore is a hypocrite, but your grasp on gas exchange in the atmosphere is about as elementary as it gets, which I'm sure is about the same knowledge the average American has right now. This is the struggle scientists are having now. Dealing with a populace that lacks understanding of the complex chemical and biophysical mechanisms at work, and so the people look to the politicians to fill in the gaps. If they hate the politician that is telling them one thing, they'll categorically denounce anything he's saying, and call the science bunk based off of someone else's editorialized "facts." I'm not just picking on one political demographic here. I think the Dems and Repubs do the same thing.

It sucks when serious issues like environmental health, which should be the concern of everyone as it has a great impact on our own health and wealth, are turned into political weapons. Nothing ever gets done.
PNG

Post by PNG »

Nothing ever gets done regardless. This is the USA.
ToddMa

Post by ToddMa »

PNG wrote:Nothing ever gets done regardless. This is the USA.
Until we are attacked by terrorists or gas prices hit $4.00.

Then, everyone has an opinion.

As for Global Warming/Climate Change, I will become concerned when the average temperature starts increasing.
ChoWeb

Post by ChoWeb »

Heh. That's like saying "I'll worry about a fire in my house until it starts getting warm." The things you don't understand are going to be much more insidious, and once they are here will be very difficult to rectify. It has little to do with warming, too.
ToddMa

Post by ToddMa »

ChoWeb wrote:Heh. That's like saying "I'll worry about a fire in my house until it starts getting warm." The things you don't understand are going to be much more insidious, and once they are here will be very difficult to rectify. It has little to do with warming, too.

That's a "convenient" way of looking at it. There's no consistent evidence, but if we throw everthing in the pot, we've got a great argument to scare people senseless.

I'll use your share of the oil supply.
ChoWeb

Post by ChoWeb »

Try reading some of the scientific journals. There's some great online ones for free, otherwise you can go to your local university and search what they have in their library. They're pills to read, but worth it if you really want to understand the issues.

I can understand why you believe what you do. I understand that its confusing and convoluted particularly if your resources are mainstream media which reduces the data into digestible sound bytes for the masses and, often, goes through the filter of the views of whomever is writing it. No, I don't buy into scaring people. I have nothing to gain from this, and I do believe some change is inevitable. I'm concerned about protecting my home, my wealth, my well-being. That's all.
ToddMa

Post by ToddMa »

ChoWeb wrote:Try reading some of the scientific journals. There's some great online ones for free, otherwise you can go to your local university and search what they have in their library. They're pills to read, but worth it if you really want to understand the issues.

I can understand why you believe what you do. I understand that its confusing and convoluted particularly if your resources are mainstream media which reduces the data into digestible sound bytes for the masses and, often, goes through the filter of the views of whomever is writing it. No, I don't buy into scaring people. I have nothing to gain from this, and I do believe some change is inevitable. I'm concerned about protecting my home, my wealth, my well-being. That's all.
Then support energy independence.
End of story.