Lebanon Cafe

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
café au lait

Re: Lebanon Cafe

Post by café au lait »

Judi, you're right about the cleanliness of Phoenicia - it is spotless and even more so now as they have done some remodeling in the last year or so. One of the things I didn't like about Lebanon was that it was grungy, kinda old and sticky grunge. Just not my cup of tea. And Lebanon doesn't serve schwarma which is what I get rather than gyros or kebabs. But ya know, different strokes for different folks and all that. Middle Eastern food varies from place to place just like Chinese and Japanese and Mexican food does.
Forget the apple - a café au lait a day keeps the doctor away!
dragongrrl

Post by dragongrrl »

Phoenicia's food RAWKS. I've seen it busy lots and I love eating there most of the time. I don't care for the belly dancing on the weekends with folks putting the money in the girl's waistband. I've never liked people who come to your table and want a tip for something you never requested. I feel the same about Mexican guitar players.

Maybe if I had money, I'd be more of a sport, but I'm broke and cheap.
Now this is more like it.
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

cafe', have you tried Acropolis? That's very close to my house, suep recommended it a while ago, and I really like it. They don't have the schwarma either, and that's my favorite.... but they have some other things that are wonderful. I love their lentil soup, very lemony.

dragongrrl, Phonecia's has belly dancers now? lol I didn't even know that! Here's a pic of my husband at Byblo's. http://picasaweb.google.com/Judib52/Byb ... 4422393586
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

Actually,
Lebanon does indeed have Chicken Shawarma,
Beef Shawarma
and
Chicken Shawarma Salad

café au lait wrote:Judi, you're right about the cleanliness of Phoenicia - it is spotless and even more so now as they have done some remodeling in the last year or so. One of the things I didn't like about Lebanon was that it was grungy, kinda old and sticky grunge. Just not my cup of tea. And Lebanon doesn't serve schwarma which is what I get rather than gyros or kebabs. But ya know, different strokes for different folks and all that. Middle Eastern food varies from place to place just like Chinese and Japanese and Mexican food does.
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
dragongrrl

Post by dragongrrl »

JudiB wrote:cafe', have you tried Acropolis? That's very close to my house, suep recommended it a while ago, and I really like it. They don't have the schwarma either, and that's my favorite.... but they have some other things that are wonderful. I love their lentil soup, very lemony.

dragongrrl, Phonecia's has belly dancers now? lol I didn't even know that! Here's a pic of my husband at Byblo's. http://picasaweb.google.com/Judib52/Byb ... 4422393586
They said it was only on the weekends. I didn't know Byblos had them. Does Lebanon Cafe? LOL. He looks like he's having fun. I guess I'm a party poop. ;)
Dilfan

Post by Dilfan »

justagirl wrote: I've heard the hummus at Phonecia is awesome. What's so different about it that makes it so good? Just curious.
JAG,
I can't put my finger on it, but it is very creamy and not "gritty", and the flavor is evident but not overpowering.
Save Money NOW! - http://jselph.MyWorldDiscounts.com
dragongrrl

Post by dragongrrl »

The Baba Ganoush is fan-freaking-tastic too. Never had better and I don't always like it. I love the hot sauce that they put in the center too.
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

Difan, I told JAG the same thing... it's as smooooooth as silk, and very very tasty. I can't reproduce it.

dragongrrl, the babajanush at Acropolis... oh WOW ... I have made a credible impersonation of it. lol YUM.

Ok, now I'm hungry. Stop talking about wonderful food, everyone!!

hahahaha... I crack myself UP
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
dragongrrl

Post by dragongrrl »

Okay, Judi, I will go to the Acropolis just to try it. Only I can't yet. I'm on a low carb diet. FOOOOOOO.

But I take vacays every now and then and by heaven the next one will see me there. :D
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

M.E. food isn't all that low-carb unfriendly. But, IIRC, Acropolis doesn't have whole wheat pita, like Mona's and Byblos do. At least they didn't used to.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"