Leftover mashed potatoes

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Cocktailtime

Leftover mashed potatoes

Post by Cocktailtime »

I have mashed potatoes left over from dinner last night. The were really good-operative word were. I hate to just throw them away. Is there anything to do with them or even a good way to reheat? :rolleyes:
café au lait

Re: Leftover mashed potatoes

Post by café au lait »

I have leftover mashed potatoes often, and I reheat them by just adding some additional butter and evap milk to bring them back to their original consistency. Sorry I don't have any creative way to use them - we love them just the way they are. :)
Forget the apple - a café au lait a day keeps the doctor away!
VaPhil

Post by VaPhil »

I saute some onions and garlic and mix them with the potatos. Add chopped parsley and whatever spices you want and form into patties.

Melt some butter in an iron skillet and fry on each side until a nice crust forms.

Sometimes I make mashed potatos just so I can make these the next day.

VaPhil
buzd

Post by buzd »

Put them in a bacon cup.
spudly

Post by spudly »

Make into patties and fry in a skillet to make potato cakes.

Mix diced cooked vegetables, add an egg, maybe a little shredded cheese. Fry like potato cake or spread into a greased casserole dish and bake uncovered.

Add chopped onion, minced cod and egg and make codfish cakes.

Use leftover mashed potatoes to "frost" a cooked meatloaf..place in oven to brown a little.

Add flour, egg and a little milk and make blinis...caviar and sour cream would be nice.
Cocktailtime

Post by Cocktailtime »

Thanks a bunch! Will definitely try/ save these ideas. I love mashed potatoes but always end up with leftovers-now I can to use them all up!!:)
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

Definitely, potato pancakes are the quickest and easiest way to go. Pat flat and fry until golden brown in butter. A little Cajun seasoning doesn't hurt either.
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Panama Hat

Post by Panama Hat »

spudly wrote: Use leftover mashed potatoes to "frost" a cooked meatloaf..place in oven to brown a little.

That's a great suggestion. Why didn't I think of that? I make meat loaf all the time.
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

I love making potatoe cakes, but even better is to use those leftover taters to make shepherd's pie. It is my house special comfort food. Everyone likes it. I brown off some ground chuck, with a bit of bulk sausage (sage seasoned breakfast type), a bunch of chopped onions and carrots and seasonings (you can add garlic later, as you don't want to cook it that long). Drain off any fat/grease (I prefer to cook it off, but if you can't get rid of it with heat, drain it).

In a baking pan, layer meat mixture with some cheeses and finally top with mashed potaotes. Bake at 350 until done to you liking.

You can also add green peas to this dish (I like to do that).
mgbeads

Post by mgbeads »

Potato cakes are really the best and easiest. I know it is not PC but to cook potato cakes with a little bacon grease is really the way to go. Oh, what a taste. Make sure you brown them on each side.. Yum!