Friday dinner

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Mrs. Fury

Friday dinner

Post by Mrs. Fury »

Seafood gumbo
Fat juicy delicious berled crabs

Food courtesy of Middendorf's, crab knife courtesy of Jeeves. Thanks Jeeves!
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
kcdixiecat

Re: Friday dinner

Post by kcdixiecat »

Dinner at Mom's house. Homemade vegetable soup with cornbread and onions...a taste of the tomato pie that I baked earlier to use up some of her tomatoes. Vegetable soup was wonderful..but isn't Mom's cooking always good? The tomato pie was good..just a little too rich. I think I'll play around with the recipe a bit more if I make it again. Ok, gotta go...I smell blackberry cobbler baking in the oven. Sigh...it's always great to come home to Mom:p
Mrs. Fury

Post by Mrs. Fury »

I love blackberry cobbler. Your dinner sounds great. I must try the tomato pie recipe. I've never had that.
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

You doggone dixiecat! All I had was the remains of a sauteed shrimp poboy from lunch! Alas, the days of us bachelors are meager ones!;)
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

Ok, no longer Friday night..it's now Saturday night. Still in Kentucky at my mom's house...the house I grew up in. Isn't it weird that no matter how old we are...when we're with our parents...once again, we're kids.

Dinner tonight was fresh green beans..cooked helpless as the ladywhowaits would call them...fried corn, new potatoes, fried green tomatoes and once again...corn bread and a sliced onion. For dessert...everyone else is having leftover blackberry cobbler...me, I'm going for the watermelon and canteloupe that's been in the fridge calling my name.

Oh...she also fixed fried pork chops..but after all of those veggies..meat was the last thing on my mind.
dragongrrl

Post by dragongrrl »

kcdixiecat wrote:Dinner tonight was fresh green beans..cooked helpless as the ladywhowaits would call them...fried corn, new potatoes, fried green tomatoes
OMG! How do you make fried corn? My grandmother used to live in Kentucky and she made fried corn. She never told us how she made it and I MISS IT SOOO MUCH. I realize yours might not be the same, but please tell me how you make it.
Now this is more like it.
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

dragongrrl wrote:OMG! How do you make fried corn? My grandmother used to live in Kentucky and she made fried corn. She never told us how she made it and I MISS IT SOOO MUCH. I realize yours might not be the same, but please tell me how you make it.
Ok...it's pretty simple. Cut the corn off of the cob...put it in an iron skillet with bacon grease (it's the best..but you can use oil if you like)...a little bit of water and a little bit of sugar and salt...a tsp is plenty...put a lid on it and let it steam..when you think it's done..take the lid off and let it cook down until it's greasy! It really is great stuff.
dragongrrl

Post by dragongrrl »

Thanks. After I asked you, I googled. It's funny but you forget the power of the Internets. After my grandmother died unexpectedly, we all talked about all her recipes that we wished we'd gotten. The Internet was not around. So when you mentioned it, it was like OMG! Someone else knows about fried corn! Sorry I got so freaked out. It was a bit of a time warp thing, y'know.

Enjoy Kentucky. I always did.
Now this is more like it.
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

Grins..I am from here. I lived in the same town until about 3 years ago when I moved to Kansas City, MO...then a year later...he moved me again..grins..we've been in New Orleans since last September. It's weird..I loved KC ..but it never felt like home. New Orleans has felt like home since we first vacationed there about ten years ago. I love coming home to see my mom and my kid that is in college here..but after a few days..I'm ready to get back to New Orleans.
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

Where in Kentucky was she from?