Lafayette for Lunch, Dinner

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
UptownKevin

Lafayette for Lunch, Dinner

Post by UptownKevin »

Hey all,

In early August I am taking my wife to Lafayette for the first time for a day of sightseeing and eating. It will be a short trip and we're staying at a B&B on Verot School Road, with time for lunch and dinner. Price is no object and we're thinking of doing Charley G's and Cafe Vermillionville; one for lunch and the other for dinner. Anything else that sounds really good or any better suggestions? We'll be in New Orleans and Hammond before and after the day trip, so trying to do something a little unique.

I know Bear went to Cafe V in May and really enjoyed it and I think we're going to skip the whole fried food scene, so Prejean's and Riverside Inn are both out. As much as I'd love to get some fried rabbit and a few margaritas, I fear the La Fonda is also out. Probably some walking around the UL campus, visiting some old friends and happy hour with fraternity brothers will be the only non-eating activities we have time for.

Thanks in advance!

-Kevin
TulaneRebel

Re: Lafayette for Lunch, Dinner

Post by TulaneRebel »

I've heard really good things about Jolie's but I have not personally been.
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

I htink you have picked tow of the best (if not the two best) in the area.

For a Saturday lunch, the smokedhamburger at Don's is da stuff! They will probably sell out, so go early (before 11:30 or so, they may be out by noon. Smoked burger on white bread with a spot of sauce. Too good for words.
UptownKevin

Post by UptownKevin »

Turbodog wrote:I htink you have picked tow of the best (if not the two best) in the area.

For a Saturday lunch, the smokedhamburger at Don's is da stuff! They will probably sell out, so go early (before 11:30 or so, they may be out by noon. Smoked burger on white bread with a spot of sauce. Too good for words.

Oops, sorry, we'll be there on a Friday, so no lunch at Don's. Do you mean Don's downtown? My Kiwanis club used to (or maybe still does) meet at Don's downtown; I think I had lunch there once a week for a couple of years!

-Kevin
The Bear

Post by The Bear »

I think if you look at the current Prejean menu you will find plenty of non fried items but that does not mean they are low cal. Go with what you have. Say hello to Alex Patout at Cafe Vermillionville as he is executative there now. Here is a link to a local guide to the restaurants in the area

http://www.bluetoad.com/publication/?i=16897
Titchou

Post by Titchou »

How about the Zydeco Breakfast at Cafe des Amis on Saturday?
For the Colonel's Lady and Judy O'Grady
are sisters under the skin.
Yvette

Post by Yvette »

Titchou wrote:How about the Zydeco Breakfast at Cafe des Amis on Saturday?
I love that place. Also Cafe Cafe Vermillionville is high on my list.

Last time I was there we also did a fine dining restaurant that the name escapes me right now. I will have to find out.

Is the restaurant that is a dogs name still good. Not Blue Dog, something with a "C" Towards Opelousas.
Yvette
Titchou

Post by Titchou »

Catahoula? Is it still open?
For the Colonel's Lady and Judy O'Grady
are sisters under the skin.
jshushan

Post by jshushan »

As no one has mentioned it, if you're in a retro mood, the Hub City Diner was good the last time I was there. It's been some years as I usually go to Prejean's when I'm in that area.

Hub City is about as it sounds, diner stuff with some Lafayette spin thrown in. Also, while you're there, go one exit west of Layfayette to the Scott exit and go into the "Best Stop" just off the interstate. Don Menard makes the best boudin and cajun boucherie items there are. Yes it's better than Poche's.

Enjoy your visit and bring some stuff from the Best Stop home with you.

Jonathan
"He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Winston Churchill
UptownKevin

Post by UptownKevin »

jshushan wrote: Also, while you're there, go one exit west of Layfayette to the Scott exit and go into the "Best Stop" just off the interstate. Don Menard makes the best boudin and cajun boucherie items there are. Yes it's better than Poche's.

Enjoy your visit and bring some stuff from the Best Stop home with you.

Jonathan
Ahh, Best Stop it is. Planned to pick up some boudin but wasn't sure where. Thanks for the reminder!

-Kevin