Do you make your own pizza crust?

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
Mrs. Fury

Re: Do you make your own pizza crust?

Post by Mrs. Fury »

Shannon you are so funny. I wrote down the recipe a while ago because hubby likes it so much. You may keep the book but I'd love to see you again!
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
hungryone

Post by hungryone »

I've tried dozens of crust recipes, and my favorite one is from Peter Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice (check your local library). It calls for a long, slow refrigerated rise--I think that's the key to a flavorful thin crust. Re: freezing dough, after mixing and the initial ferment, you can cut it into appropriate sized hunks, wrap in plastic, and freeze. Defrost overnight in the fridge or on the counter for 2 hours (cool weather) or 1-1.5 hours (summer weather).

After lots of stuck dough and messes, I've settled on a good method for getting the dough as thin as I like (haven't mastered throwing it in the air). Put your dough blob on a big sheet of parchment paper and roll away--you can get it cracker-thin if you like. Top as usual, then slide the whole thing, paper and all, onto a preheated baking stone in your hottest oven. Works like a charm. The paper won't interfere with the stone's absorbtion of moisture from the crust.
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

Mrs. Fury - Thanks! I'm going to make that crust when I open that box of books. We are long overdue for another Rivershack night - or even a dinner somewhere. It's been too long.

EAC - check your pm's. :)
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

I've made my own pizza dough for years, concentrating on getting a whole wheat crust that's as close as possible to a regular one. After many trials, this one, posted here is the best to-date, if not, finally, total success.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"