Rouse's

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
justagirl

Rouse's

Post by justagirl »

I'm not a fan of any grocery stores down here and Rouse's is just one of them. Yesterday I went in to buy stuff to make dog food. If this was actually my food I might have lost it but since the dogs are much less picky than myself I was able to not break a sweat.

The cashier and her bagger were rapping songs back and forth dropping f and n bombs all over the place. At first I though maybe they were just trying to make me uncomfortable but then I realized they are just ignorant and had not much to do with me.

This cashier chick scanned then tossed every single item I had onto the platform area. Glad I wasn't buying apples. I bought two 6-packs of Abita Amber (for the dog walker, I did say this trip was for the dogs) one of which the bagger clanked nicely against the metal table. One 6-pack was $6.79 and the other was $7.59. They were both the same so I have no idea why they were two different prices but I didnt notice that til just now.

The Win-Dixie is far worse. I managed to go almost all of last year with out stepping foot in a Rouse's or Win-Dixie and am thinking I may need to do that again.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
BTG

Re: Rouse's

Post by BTG »

The Win-Dixie by me is the worst store I have ever been in. Not sure if it is that the mgmt just decided that they don't care about some locations or if it is the large amount of lower income apartments clustered near it that make it so bad.

I have been happy with the two Rouse's that I visit (Vets and Airline at Labarre), but then again I am probably just happy that Sav-a-Center is no longer running the stores. They had gotten pretty bad.
I now see cashiers standing at the end of their lanes letting you know they are open and they seem to have a good crew for now.
Not a fan of the meat at Rouse's though.
JRO

Post by JRO »

Winn Dixie near me is off limits for me. Horrible place. Rouse's near me, Algiers is a very pleasant place to shop. It's funny when it was Sav a center the employees were horrible, but now that they work for Rouse's they are all very pleasant.
RouxTheDay

Post by RouxTheDay »

JRO wrote:Winn Dixie near me is off limits for me. Horrible place. Rouse's near me, Algiers is a very pleasant place to shop. It's funny when it was Sav a center the employees were horrible, but now that they work for Rouse's they are all very pleasant.

Amen to that. I refuse to go in that Winn Dixie, it's horrible and I fear for my life just walking through the parking lot.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

I absolutely refuse to go to Win-Dixie. I tolerate the Rouse's by me (Tchoup, uptown) but I don't like it. The produce has actually gotten a little better and since that's mostly what I buy it's a big deal to me. The only meat I usually buy is for the dog's food. But the service yesterday was the worst I've ever experienced. And that includes the horrible service at whatever the Breaux Mart was before it became Breaux Mart across from Bulldog on Magazine.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

That's one thing I don't miss about the Southshore. The kids that work the Rouses/Winn-Dixie's up here are so polite, it was weird at first!

I try and do most of the shopping at Wal Mart though, it's just so much cheaper. But I can't do it after 9 in the morning.
praline

Post by praline »

I actually like my Rouse's (Airline and Labarre). They are very friendly and actually acknowledge you in the line. The deli workers are esp. pleasant.

Winn Dixie on Vets at the parish line scares me. If I do Winn Dixie, I go all the way to the one by Kehoe France. In fact I was there two weeks ago. Watched the cashier verbally abuse the bag boy and berate me in the process. I mean, she whipped up on him so badly, I went straight from the lane to management. The bag boy actually walked out. Mgmt was surprisingly very good and professsional. Even pointed out on my receipt that in the mess I had not been asked for my bonus card. Sent me to customer service and received my $12 credit. Mgr. talked to the young man, then the cashier. I was impressed. Even the lady collecting carts in the parking lot took my cart immediately and sent me off with a greeting. Most unusual.

And I must be on a grocery roll. Now that I am off for the summer, I am trying to buy my staples at WalMart to save money from my meager teacher's salary. WalMart scares me and I just don't have the psychological stamina to deal with it. But I have been waking up at 6am and getting the groceries done while the family sleeps. I can run in and out of there in 30 minutes. Sometimes, they are still stocking shelves and don't have what I need. The first time I did it I was focused on getting in and out and didn't realize that people were saying hi to me and I wasn't really responding. Last time, I loosened up and couldn't believe people were so pleasant! Still a pita, but if I need to do WM I am only going 1st thing in the morning.
BTG

Post by BTG »

Unfortunately I have been hitting the Walmart a little also. If I can't go before 8:00 it ain't happening. I will leave that store pissed off and it will take half a day for me to get back in a good mood.
Tchoupitoulas

Post by Tchoupitoulas »

RouxTheDay wrote:Amen to that. I refuse to go in that Winn Dixie, it's horrible and I fear for my life just walking through the parking lot.
Me either....not without packing. I'd hit the Breaux Mart on Gen Meyer before I step foot in there. It was bad...now it's just deplorable. The SavACenter was full of people with chips on their shoulders, nasty and simply didn't give a damn. The Rouse's is a breath of fresh air..both literally and figuratively.

I go to Wal Mart only at 6:00 on Saturday or Sunday morning. Ruins my whole day otherwise.

They opened a Rouse's by the office (Youngsville) and you'd think it was the second coming. But I have to admit, the people there are HELPFUL and they sell local shrimp, which the stupid Albertson's does not.
“Well-behaved women seldom make history” ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
jshushan

Post by jshushan »

I use the Breaux Mart on Magazine or the Rouses by Tipitina's. I go into the Winn Dixie on Tchop for one thing. The Check Diet Cream Soda is both cheap as dirt and very good. I put up with that store for that stuff only. I go the WalMart on Tchoup for household items because most of it really is cheaper and it's one stop for almost everything except meat and produce.

I just put up with what we have. If not for the Rouse family and the Breaux family, I'm told the stores would have just closed and we'd be stuck. What we have is better than nothing.

Jonathan
"He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Winston Churchill