Mauthe's Fine Dairy

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
justagirl

Mauthe's Fine Dairy

Post by justagirl »

I bought some whole milk today at the Mid City Green Market. It's Cream Line Dairy I think...It's is so good and creamy. I was dreading having to run up to Whole Foods tonight to find some grass-fed, roaming cow milk so when I saw this I just had to try it.

I also bought some of their yogurt...I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks Jon for bringing back the Green Market.

Has anyone else tried Mr Mauthe's Dairy products?
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
The Bear

Re: Mauthe's Fine Dairy

Post by The Bear »

Is it the father or the son. I heard that there was a disagreement between them that split the family farm. We are going to the Red Stick Farmers market Saturday. I looking forward to Amato wine and Smith Creamery products.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

Bear, there was an older gentleman and a younger kid..I'm not good with ages so...lemme guess, the older guy was at least 60 and the kid was at the most 20 (but I'm thinking more teens).
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
The Bear

Post by The Bear »

Sounds like the father and the son of the son. The son was in his 30's or 40"s.
buzd

Post by buzd »

justagirl wrote: Has anyone else tried Mr Mauthe's Dairy products?
I get their stuff just about every week. I'm a skim milk drinker, but their chocolate milk is absolutely fantastic. I generally get there too late to get the skim stuff, but I had it last week, and it's equally as good.

I make homemade ice cream now and then. My goal is to get the Mauthe's milk and cream and some Farmer's market peaches and make some homegrown ice cream. It will be fantastic.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

I was a skim drinker too. A pint in the morning and a pint most evenings. I went to my monthly healthy eating meeting this month and was told to try whole milk, and for it to be from a free roaming, grass eating cow..so when I saw this I decided to try it. It's very thick and creamy. It seems weird to get my head around drinking something this creamy as being healthy but it is natural.

And I rather go to the market and buy from them than having to go to Whole Foods because then I'll spend another hundred dollars on other 'stuff.'
buzd

Post by buzd »

I agree with that, and I've read about the benefits of milkfat, but I have plenty of fat in my diet. I like the skim.

I make a mean basil ice cream (from plants also bought at the farmer's market). I can't wait to have an all-local-product product (I have stupid amounts of basil).
JonSmith

Post by JonSmith »

Its the Father and Grandson. They're wonderful people with first rate products.
willifred

Post by willifred »

The first thing I do when I go to the market is grab a pint of chocolate milk, then roam around and shop...BUT...has anyone ever had their cheesecake? Absoutely fantastic, and at $5 a quarter, it's a steal. He had told me about people buying 4 quarters and pressing them back together and passing it off as home made. Then, sure enough, I was there one day when an older lady was in a melt down because he only had 3 quarters left. She tried to buy mine back from me so she could have a "whole" one. (when I get my C.milk ,I pay for a quarter and he holds it for me until I leave). The little layer of sort of "sour" like white stuff on top is the best part. Sort of like creme fresh I suppose.
mojo

Post by mojo »

If it's anything like Smith's Dairy cheesecake, the "sour" taste is creole cream cheese.