Making love (or a good meal) out of nothing at all

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Turbodog

Making love (or a good meal) out of nothing at all

Post by Turbodog »

Last night, I didn't have much to work with in the way of fixing dinner. I was gonna make an omlette, or some eggs in some way. Then I got bored watching tv and went to look around the kitchen.

I found some mushrooms forgot about and needed to use. Next thing I know, I'm prepping and cooking.

I wound up sauteeing sliced mushrooms and diced onions, added sun dried tomato,then garlic, deglazed with some chicken stock and red wine, reduced this, then finally a little dairy (half and half and heavy cream) and reduced a bit again. Served this over linguine, with some Locatelli romano and Reggiano parmesean (I try to keep both of these on hand, as I love 'em).

Way too good. And made completely with items on hand. A "free" meal as it were. And a hit with the 16-17 year old male crowd (my son and friends, who had dinner ealier and "weren't hungry" (until they smelled my work).

Anyway, was wondering if any of you guys "freelance" like that. I had no idea what I was gonna do, even as I was doing it.
café au lait

Re: Making love (or a good meal) out of nothing at all

Post by café au lait »

Whoa, that sounds great, Turbo. I envy those who can create delicious dishes on the fly. Will you marry me? Or adopt me? ;)
Forget the apple - a café au lait a day keeps the doctor away!
edible complex

Post by edible complex »

I've always got a party in my pantry.

The latest were the soy burger tacos. Couldn't wait for ground meat to thaw, so I crumbled the soy burgers and pan fried them w/onions, peppers, comino mix, cilantro, achiote and cumin. fried the corn tortillas, and added the "meat", shredded montery pepper jack, black bean and corn salsa, sour cream, shredded lettuce, and fresh squeezed lime and El Pato Sauce Picante. Washed down w/ a cold Dos Equis, pour some more.
After Mon & Tues, even the calendar says W-T-F!
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

Turbo, I do this all the time. Actually, that's where tonight's dinner idea came from. I bought the black bean sauce at the International Market Tuesday after lunch and had been thinking about what I could do with it, considering what I had at home. I came up with today's idea and just needed eggplant to make it better.

I love the challenge of making a good dinner with what is on hand. It's one of the things I couldn't get 'roommates' to understand...I like to have a stocked pantry and certain things because I love to be able to just cook up something on the fly.

Your dinner sounded wonderful.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
Duke

Post by Duke »

The absolute best meals are made up of What's Just There. The only problem with this is that everyone demands you make it again and you either don't have the same stuff or you can't remember just how you made it last time.

...but each time is a new challenge and a new opportunity, right? It's the most-fun cooking there is, I think.
Mrs. Fury

Post by Mrs. Fury »

[quote="Duke"]The absolute best meals are made up of What's Just There. The only problem with this is that everyone demands you make it again and you either don't have the same stuff or you can't remember just how you made it last time.[quote]

A girlfriend of mine was a bit tipsy and made a red bean lasagna. She brought it to work the next day and it was unbelievable. We asked her for the recipe or if she would make it again and she was not sure if she could remember. Well she managed to make it again and it was just as good as the first time. She would not share the recipe, though.
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
foodieCon

Post by foodieCon »

Mrs. Fury wrote:She would not share the recipe, though.

Why do some people do that? I mean, I can understand not remembering when you just dream something up, but this is wierd. She should share. Did she say why she wouldn't?
buzd

Post by buzd »

Duke wrote:The absolute best meals are made up of What's Just There. The only problem with this is that everyone demands you make it again and you either don't have the same stuff or you can't remember just how you made it last time.

...but each time is a new challenge and a new opportunity, right? It's the most-fun cooking there is, I think.
That's about right, Duke.

Although college is the exception. One night after much "wine in a box" (and our weekly keg).. (in Texas) .. (years ago).. we made "mustard rice". We had rice, and mustard (yellow). It was pretty good (considering). We had some Arby's Horsey Sauce that changed the flavor, though for better or worse is debatable (still).

I agree with your concept, but I much prefer my current pantry for that sort of cooking.
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

Turbodog wrote:Anyway, was wondering if any of you guys "freelance" like that. I had no idea what I was gonna do, even as I was doing it.
I used to make a very similar pasta dish with different variations.

Freelancing is what I do most of the time. It's very rare that I have a plan in mind when I am grocery shopping. I just buy things I like!
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

I often wing it. I have learned to write down what I did immediately after we eat, with any improvements/changes we'd like, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel. I have also noticed how not hungry folks seem to eat more than those that are famished.