Something Different W/Chicken?

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
BADgirl!

Something Different W/Chicken?

Post by BADgirl! »

edible complex wrote:The Other Bored

lol 'bored'..... it does fit though.

The Other Board

...but to stay on topic. I'm bored of the same ole dinner menu. Can someone suggest a chicken dish? I have 'bone in' thighs to cook. I have potatoes. (Montreal Bistro's potatos were the best ever. Anyone know how they make theirs?)

TOB can also mean: Tasty Original Beans(and rice) lol
(_)_)
bdavid

Re: TOB is begging

Post by bdavid »

&quot wrote:

...but to stay on topic. I'm bored of the same ole dinner menu. Can someone suggest a chicken dish? I have 'bone in' thighs to cook. I have potatoes. (Montreal Bistro's potatos were the best ever. Anyone know how they make theirs?)

lol
Take your thighs and lift the skin away from the meat. Stuff with goat cheese which has been mixed with garlic and basil (or whatever). Bake. The goat cheese doesn't melt out and it's very tasty indeed. No idea re the potatoes, though, sorry.
Mrs. Fury

Re: Something Different W/Chicken?

Post by Mrs. Fury »

Thighs are our favorite. Here's one I do: dredge chicken in flour and whatever seasonings you like, brown both sides in a little oil over medium high heat. Add some wine to deglaze the pan, wait a couple of minutes then add a little water, cover and simmer over medium heat til done.
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Mrs. Fury wrote:Thighs are our favorite. Here's one I do: dredge chicken in flour and whatever seasonings you like, brown both sides in a little oil over medium high heat. Add some wine to deglaze the pan, wait a couple of minutes then add a little water, cover and simmer over medium heat til done.
Thighs are our favorite, as well. I'd like to try this..... am I to pull the skin off of the thigh?

** edited to say that I fear that the skin would be too slimy **

Both of the above sound yummy. :)
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

I like thigh pieces still on the bone. I'll do any sort of braising dish with them. Chicken Marengo being my favourite...I dredge in flour and brown the chicken pieces, then set aside. Sautee some onions and garlic, then bring the chicken back (I do this in a cast iron dutch oven). You can flame off a little brandy here if you are ok with that (I do) or skip it. Add chicken stock, chopped tomatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer for about an hour. Add crawfish tails, mushrooms and some lemon juice. Done. Serve with rice. I'm sure there are more detailed recipes online but I've made it so many times now I don't know where my recipe is. I got it from another forum. This is so good.

Another one is Chicken Grande. Marinate the chicken with olive oil, garlic, rosemarry, s&p. Put all that into a casserole dish with Italian sausage and bake. Serve with pasta bordellaise. Easy and oh so good.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Here's one for you, JAG-

Big baking dish.... spread around your skinless chicken thighs (on the bone), as many unpeeled (but separated) cloves of garlic as you can handle, chunks of onion and potato.... toss with olive oil and rosemary.

Roast.

After the garlic can be SQUEEZED into a paste and the other stuff is to your liking, dump some shrimp on top.... continue baking til shrimp are cooked.

This is something that I usually make for "first time visitors", and they go ape-sh*t over it. :)
Hadacol

Post by Hadacol »

Last night, as a matter of fact, I didn't feel like going out to Rouse's, so I just worked with what I had which, happily, is what I wanted anyway.

4 chicken thighs on the bone
2 med yellow onions, roughly chopped
1 green bell pepper, ditto on the chopping
2 stalks celery, more couse whacking
2 medium sized carrots, pretty finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, mashed and finely chopped
1 very ripe, very large tomato out of the yard, chopped coursely,
Some panko crumbs (this matters, flour changes the whole thing, still good)

roll thighs in panko pretty heavily

heat olive oil in pan big enough to hold 4 thighs and heat oil til smoking

brown thighs, skin side down, until nicely browned

Flip and do the same on the other side

Remove, add onion, bell pepper, celery, and carrots

Sautee over medium low heat WITH THE TOP ON until soft

Add garlic, tomatoes, and chicken

Cook on medium low heat for 45 minutes or so

Eat

And if you are wondering about spices, I change it every time. Last night it was sea salt, fresh black pepper, penzey's Provence spices, with more pepper when I put it on the plate. I eat this with thin spaghetti more often than not, but it's great with white rice.
Mrs. Fury

Post by Mrs. Fury »

NoNoNanette wrote:Thighs are our favorite, as well. I'd like to try this..... am I to pull the skin off of the thigh?

** edited to say that I fear that the skin would be too slimy **

Both of the above sound yummy. :)
If you brown it, it should be delicious with the skin on.
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
BADgirl!

Post by BADgirl! »

All suggestions sound good. Will try each one eventually. Ended up eating leftovers tonight. Will try one of the recipes tomorrow. Thanks
(_)_)
Hadacol

Post by Hadacol »

I thought that the skin was the whole point of chicken:)

In fact, that's exactly why I haven't EVER bought any of those stupid boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You might as well buy a big bucket of tofu.