Gravy - first you make a Roux!

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
JudiB

Gravy - first you make a Roux!

Post by JudiB »

In my house, it wasn't a real meal without rice and gravy.

Making gravy in my family is an art form. My grandmother, mother, aunts, daughter... we all do the same thing, yet each one's is a little different. I think it has to do with the age of our cast iron frying pans and the way we fry off the seasonings.

A traditional Sunday meal, or "company" meal was usually a nice roast, rice and gravy, (and the gravy is a side-dish, it takes just as much prep time as anything else), some kind of vegetable au gratin, some seasoned vegetable, salad, french bread and dessert.

My grandmother used half oil, half flour, but I've cut the oil waaaaay back. In a large cast iron skillet, I heat the oil, almost to smoking. I've done it so much I know when to put the flour in, but sometimes I hold my hand over the pan to 'feel' the heat. Once I add the flour, I stir constantly, making sure to get the sides and bottom until its the color of dark chocolate.

All the veggies have to be chopped ahead of time, because if you don't add them right away and turn the fire down a bit, the roux will burn.

In general, I use two large onions, chopped, one bunch green onions, chopped, 3/4 bell pepper, chopped, two celery stalks, chopped, four large toes of garlic, chopped, either one fresh tomato chopped or a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste. I add these vegetables, one at a time, starting with the onions, and cook until clear, then adding the next... the garlic and tomatos I add last so they don't burn.

Once the roux is well cooked and all the veggies are clear and limp, I add stock, (beef stock or chicken stock, depending on what the gravy is for), about four cups, or until the gravy is the right consistancy, with a little extra water. Then I add the chopped herbs, basil, oregano, parsely, one small bay leaf. I let it gently simmer for about an hour, adding water if necessary. Salt and pepper to taste.

About half way through the cooking of the roast, I add the gravy to the wonderful pan juices. For a turkey, I add the gravy after removing the turkey from the roaster.

Both of my kids are grown and out of the house, but when they visit, or I visit them, this is usually the requested meal. I got a kick out of my daughter last Christmas while we were visiting, she asked me to make the gravy for the gumbo... and while I was cooking it she sighed in ecstacy and said... "no one makes gravy like my mama". :)

How do you make your gravy?
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
hungryone

Re: Gravy - first you make a Roux!

Post by hungryone »

JudiB wrote: Both of my kids are grown and out of the house, but when they visit, or I visit them, this is usually the requested meal. I got a kick out of my daughter last Christmas while we were visiting, she asked me to make the gravy for the gumbo... and while I was cooking it she sighed in ecstacy and said... "no one makes gravy like my mama". :)

How do you make your gravy?
Explain, please. Gravy for gumbo? I'm not familiar with this turn of phrase. What does gravy have to do with gumbo? Are you using gravy as a general term to refer to the roux & cooked veggies that are the start of a typical gumbo? Thanks, I'm really curious and a student of LA words & phrases.
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

Yes, she was talking about the base for the gumbo, hungryone. The smell of the browned flour and sauteing veggies is the same in the beginning of both. :)

We also say "tomato gravy" and that has nothing to do with a roux. I guess each region has it's own slang.
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
PNG

Post by PNG »

I cook the vegetables seperately, then add them later. I saute sweet onions until they turn into onion syrup with very tender, browned onion bits. This sometimes takes several hours depending upon the sugar content in the onions. I also add slightly sauteed onions for a different onion taste and texture to add another layer of flavor. I use the oil from from whatever meat will be added to the dish if possible to make the roux. I always use freshly made stock instead of water or canned stuff for liquid. I usually raost peppers in the oven to add later and roast garlic too for that purpose. I almost always use garlic powder and raw garlic cooked into the dish to add more flavor and texture there too.
AS WITH GOD, I TOO WORK IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS................
foodieCon

Post by foodieCon »

judi,

that sounds awwsome. If I asked real nice, would you come over and show me how it's done?
Alex

Post by Alex »

I used to go with a half cup oil and a half cup of flour, but I cut it down to 1/3 cup of oil and I find my roux comes out better. FWIW
Sine qua non