Lunch on the Job

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Shannon

Re: Lunch on the Job

Post by Shannon »

I TRY to bring my lunch and eat leftovers. But going out is more fun.

I just finished off yesterday's Kim Ahn's for today's lunch. I'll hit Kim Ahn's and Kyoto II, occassionally Taqueria Corona. I've been meaning to try Koz's but haven't yet.

My usual Tuesday lunch is a drive down River Road to the Farmer's Market at Uptown Square. Though I haven't been for the last two weeks (easily persuaded to meet friends for lunch LOL).

This week and last week I also made the drive from River Ridge to Saigon on Cleary - I got there rather quickly.

I have a dorm fridge in my office and had big plans to keep it stocked so I would eat out less ... justifying the cost of the fridge with the amount of money I'd save on buying lunch. With a few exceptions, it's been great to keep my leftovers from restaurant lunch meals. :p
hungryone

Post by hungryone »

globe9 wrote:I drive for my job almost all day and at lunch time I am out in the country most of the time(re: Edgard, Vacherie, Luling) and there isn't much out in these places besides fast food. I'm trying not to eat fast food as much as I used to, so I usually just bring a lean pocket with me, some pringles lite chips, a granola bar, and eat while I'm in the car.
Dude, ask around. You can have some darn tasty lunches in the hinterlands. Don't rely on the hot pocket---just don't go there.
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

Mrs. Fury wrote:Lately most of the time I eat in. There's a little store at 400 Poydras I like to visit. Sometimes I get a sandwich, sometimes soup. When I go out I go to Nola Grocery, Ugly Dog, Lucy's, Cochon, Parasol... almost anywhere near the Warehouse District.
You left out Rio Mar, Cafe Adelaide, Creole Skillet, Ugly Dog...oops! Sorry, you're hiding these places? ;)

Well, anyway, so far my lunch favorites are Rio Mar, J'Anita's, Cafe Adelaide, Radosta's, Sammy's Live Oak Deli and New Orleans Food and Spirits (Bucktown).
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
buzd

Post by buzd »

LiveOak wrote:I should bring lunch more often than I do, but when I don't I usually hit Spitale's Deli because it's very close to where I work and I can get food and eat in the time that I have. When I do bring lunch it's usually leftovers of what we cooked the night before. I'm not much of a sandwich person for lunch.
If you're that close to Spitale's, you should shoot down the service road to Taqueria Sanchez. Quick, cheap, and very good!!
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

Where are:

Koz's

The Sandwich Club

Hickory Cafe ?

And how is:

Seither's?
Vitality Cafe?

I'm in Harahan once a week.
I don't really have a lunch break, but one day an appt might cancel & I want to be prepared!

BTW, what happened to Coffee Cottage? Was going to go there the other day & saw the name changed. One of the counter guys I recognized from Coffee Cottage & wondered if John Caluda still owns it.
I went to Kyoto II instead.

And to answer the question - on days I'm working it's just something quick & light. A salad, peanut butter & toast or eggs & toast.
I'll go out to lunch only on the days I'm not working. I prefer to have a leisurely lunch & that's not happening on a workday!
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

globe9 wrote:I drive for my job almost all day and at lunch time I am out in the country most of the time(re: Edgard, Vacherie, Luling).....
G9, next time you're in the Vacherie area would you ask around about B & C Seafood on River Road? Mrs. Fury and I have been there a couple of times in the last few weeks, but it has been closed. Used to be a fairly popular place to eat.

You might check the snowball shop near the Veterans Memorial Bridge (Gramercy/Wallace). Last time we stopped for a cool one the owner lady was serving daily specials and po-boys. It's a cheery indoor place with tables. If you're not in the mood for food try a cake-batter snowball instead! ;)
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
EatinAintCheatin

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

Isabella Maja wrote:Where are:

Koz's

The Sandwich Club

Hickory Cafe ?

And how is:

Seither's?
Vitality Cafe?

I've never heard of The Sandwich Club, but

Hickory Cafe - located between Dickory and Hickory across from the Whitney Op Center (near Sysco) on Dickory.

I like Seither's for seafood poboys and especially their cheesburger poboy. The often have some type of gumbo as their soup dujour and it's usually pretty good. And when oyster season is on they serve them on the half shell.

Vitality Cafe is on Hickory near Dock. I've eaten there twice. It's basically health food. I had a buffalo burger with chips. It's pretty good but the portions were small and I left hungry. To be honest, I haven't been there in over a year though.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I always eat out for lunch. I tried bringing my lunch and eating here, but that does not work out to well when you the IT guy. I have a handful of places in the Harahan area that I go to, and sometimes I take a trip to Hillbilly BBQ down the road.
Sine qua non
RouxTheDay

Post by RouxTheDay »

Sandwich club is just a little take out sammich jernt at 1501 Edwards. (corner of Edwards and Heebe)