A few more cheese notes two

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
PNG

A few more cheese notes two

Post by PNG »

Went to the cheese store this morning:

CORSU VECCHIU: Netherlands. Soft white cheese. Smooth texture. Sheep’s milk. Sweet scent turning to musty secondary scent. Great flavor. Very sweet on the front changing to a great sweet meaty flavor. Pleasant earthy/savory sweetness on the finish. Would recommend to anyone. $24.00/lb.

MARIEKE GOUDA: Thorp Wisconsin. Semisoft whitish cheese. Smooth texture. Raw cow’s milk. Slight roasted nut scent. Very nutty sweet flavor. Savory nutty finish. Would recommend to anyone. $16.00/lb.

DUTCH PARRANO: Netherlands. Firm yellowish gold cheese. Very slightly dry texture. Cow’s milk. Buttery scent. Called Netherlands version of parmesan, though it is not as dry a texture. Pleasant sweet slightly salty flavor buttery flavor. Slightly more salty on the finish. Very good. $15.00/lb.

HOOK’S PARADISE BLUE: Mineral Point Wisconsin. Semisoft blue cheese. Small amount of blue veining. Smooth texture. Double crème blue. Very mild slightly sour scent. Very salty flavor throughout. Would recommend to someone who enjoys blue cheese. $14.00/lb.

NORTHERN LIGHTS RACLETTE: Minnesota. Soft white cheese. Smooth texture. Raw cow’s milk. Somewhat nutty, dry scent. Slightly sweet, slightly savory flavor. Would recommend to anyone. $11.00/lb.

VALENCAY: France. Soft white cheese. Coated in ash in the shape of a flat topped pyramid. Beautiful cheese. Fine grainy texture. Slightly dry. Raw goat’s milk. Very sweet, wet scent. Sweet almost red berry flavor. Very moist cheese. The ash coating makes a mess when handling cheese. Would recommend to anyone. $19.00/lb.

CAPRIOLE O’BANON: Indiana. Firm, grainy white cheese. Slightly dry texture. Wrapped in chestnut leaves soaked in Woodford Reserve Bourbon. Bourbon and chestnut leaf scent. Go figure. Goat’s milk. Sweet with mild bourbon flavor. Very good. The tannins from the leaves give it a unique flavor. Would recommend to anyone. $10.00/six ounce wheel.
AS WITH GOD, I TOO WORK IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS................
Jesse

Re: A few more cheese notes two

Post by Jesse »

Where do you do your cheese shopping?
PNG

Post by PNG »

Surdyk's in Minneapolis. I am up here every few weeks or so. Artisinal and Murray's when in New York City.
PNG

Post by PNG »

Went to Surdyk's this morning to pick up a few cheeses:

SOTTOCENERE WITH TRUFFLE: Italy. Firm white cheese. Smooth texture. Cow's milk. Strong truffle scent. Aged in ash and flavored with nutmeg, coriander, licorice, fennel. Complex flavor. The coriander and nutmeg flavors are prevelant. Good full flavor. Would recommend to anyone. $23.50/lb.

KASSERI: Greece. Firm whitish cheese. Slightly dry texture. Sheep's milk. Clean grassy scent. Rich meaty/nutty/salty flavor turning salty/sweet on the finish. Would recommend to anyone. $13.90/lb.

DEHESA DE LOS LLANOS (FARMSTEAD MANCHEGO): Spain. Aged nine months.Hard whitish cheese. Dry texture. Manchega sheep's milk. Slightly musty scent. Very sweet/nutty flavor turning to VERY sweet and nutty on the finish. This one is really good. Would recommend to anyone. $21.50/lb.

KEFALOTYRI: Greece. Firm white cheese. Dry, rubbery texture. Sheep's milk. Mild musty scent. Tastes like a very dry Romano turning to very salty on the finish. This cheese is usually fried in oive oil to make Saganaki. Would recommend to anyone. $16.30/lb.

BARELY BUZZED: Beehive Cheese Company Uintah, Utah USA. Firm yellowish cheese. Smooth, dry texture. Strong expresso scent. This cheese is rubbed with expresso and lavender. Expresso flavor is prevalent with a mild caramel flavor too. The expresso flavor lingers pleasantly. Unique cheese flavor to me. Would recommend to anyone. $20.00/lb.

PODDA CLASSICO: Italy. Hard whitish cheese with green veining. Hard, dry texture. Pasteurized cow and sheep's milk. Mild musty scent. The flavor is described as a combination of Parmesan and Romano. Mild Parmesan flavor with a pleasant meaty element. Would recommend to anyone. $17.30/lb.

BRESCIANELLA AQUAVITE: Italy. Soft whitish cheese. Soft, liquidy texture at room temperature. Raw cow's milk. Very yeasty/bready scent. Washed in Aquavit and coated in rye bran. Extremely fruity/yeasty flavor ending more towards the yeast component. Would recommend to anyone. $30.15/lb.

BEELER WILDSPITZ: Switzerland. Firm yellow cheese. Smooth texture. Cow and goat's milk. Strong scent of barnyard and urine. Very meaty/grassy flavor ending with a very meaty flavor. Very woodsy and earthy flavors. Would recommend to anyone. $21.50/lb.

CHABRIN: France. Firm whitish cheese. Smooth, dry texture. Goat's milk. Strong musty scent. VERY buttery, VERY sweet. Pleasant goatiness on the finish. Very good cheese. Would recommned to anyone. $17.00/lb.

GRAYSON: Virginia, USA. Almost liquid at room temperature. Jersey cow's milk. Very similar to Taleggio. Let me say that Taleggio turns my stomach. My body reacts strongly to even the scent of it. It turns my stomach inside out for whatever reason. Strong scent of urine and other nasties. Strong flavor of rotten meat. Kinda reminds me of fresh durian. If you have never tasted a Taleggio before, this may be a good starter though it is not officially a Taleggio. Would recommend to someone who enjoys Taleggio and other powerfully strong flavored cheeses like them. $16.00/lb.
cstoehr

Post by cstoehr »

How on earth can you do a diet with all of that wonderful cheese (& also your chocolate stash) ??????????????
PNG

Post by PNG »

I lose weight very easily. I follow the only rule of dieting that actually works...........I consume fewer calories than I burn each day. This equates to weight loss.
cstoehr

Post by cstoehr »

You also must possess the other impt factor....willpower.
PNG

Post by PNG »

That too. I sometimes go for a few days without eating anything just because.