Lunch at J'Anita's

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
JonSmith

Re: Lunch at J'Anita's

Post by JonSmith »

with two kids under 3 1/2 I've learned to roll with the punches, this was one of those mornings....breakfast will have to wait
"I wonder...what the Vintners buy one half so precious as the stuff they sell." - Omar Khayyam
Duke

Post by Duke »

I had three in three years, dude. I feel your pain/joy big-time.
Pelican Six

Post by Pelican Six »

I had lunch there for the first time today - very enjoyable. I wrote my thoughts down on the TOB. Fish Sammich, I love you!
Pellicano Ristorante - home of the Mile-Long Corndog*
*not really
café au lait

Post by café au lait »

Pelican Six wrote: I wrote my thoughts down on the TOB.
Why not write your thoughts down here for us? :confused:
Forget the apple - a café au lait a day keeps the doctor away!
Pelican Six

Post by Pelican Six »

café au lait wrote:Why not write your thoughts down here for us? :confused:

Correction - I wrote a more expanded version of my thoughts over there. It was a lot of typing, and I don't want to cut-and-paste that much of anyone's work, even my own.

What's the difference?
*not really
café au lait

Post by café au lait »

What's the difference?
Well, because some of us aren't reading TOB now, and I think you give great reports. I like reading your posts, and I'm sure others do too. :)
Duke

Post by Duke »

Thanks for the nice words. I would have responded over on TOB but they won't let me log in anymore for whatever reason.

Anyway, the bearded guy who complimented your hat was me. The taciturn server was Jennifer, who is not a lesbian (she is married) but has roomed with one. Her manner is not aloof but painfully shy until you get to know her. I call her Strawbaby, since she is a proud graduate of Pontchatoula High. She is an interior design student at UNO.

The beans were the end of the pot and too dry (to me). They were replaced once I got a good look at them -- though the Southwestern flavor remains the same.

Thanks for coming by. We'll be returning the favor. Identify yourself next time and we'll talk a bit.
Pelican Six

Post by Pelican Six »

café au lait wrote:Well, because some of us aren't reading TOB now, and I think you give great reports. I like reading your posts, and I'm sure others do too. :)

THAT was deftly handled and gracious. Even though I know I'm being handled, it was so skillful that I actually enjoyed it. I salute you! :)

Ok, for the lady...

I've been meaning to visit J'anita's for quite a while now, and today several factors fell into place which made it possible.
Namely:

1. Household Six and our Master Race are up on Mackinaw Island until Monday night, so going downtown isn't so daunting anymore.

2. I had just finished helping Chef Chris move (from one 3rd floor to another 3rd floor - damn Yankee) and was still dressed in what I like to call Upscale Homeless Casual, so I wouldn't look too out of place on lower Magazine.*

3. I had been looking for ways to increase my carbon footprint and rolling in the Death Star from Kenner to the river was just the ticket.

I arrived at J'Anita's and immediately felt out of place as the protocol was unclear as to whether I should seat myself or not. After looking lost for a few minutes, I was seated at the deuce by the front door. My server was a taciturn young lass with tattoos wrapping her arm down to one elbow. While not UNpleasant, she was a bit aloof. My first thought, "Hmmph. Must be a lesbian," I immediately discarded as being ungracious, judgmental and unworthy of my upbringing. More likely, she was simply intimidated by my male stripper-grade good looks and overcompensated by pretending to ignore me.;)

A bearded fellow from the kitchen complimented me on my Bulleit Bourbon hat, allowing as to how it was a fantastic bourbon and thereby branded himself a true Southern gentleman of discriminating taste and impeccable manners.

I normally don't care for "funky" eateries, but J'Anita's comes by theirs honestly - this is obviously who they are and the staff WEARS the dining space like an old but favorite pair of jeans. I really liked the Latin American "Day of the Dead" art featured on the right wall. It was a small but comfortable dining space that had a lot of the personality of the owner(s) in it, and I enjoyed just looking around at all the furnishings, with the exception of two Tulane coffee mugs.:p

The sides I selected were the BBQ beans and maque choux. The BBQ beans were more of a Southwestern take - refried beans with BBQ flavor, garnished with shredded cheddar and green onions. The maque choux was crisp, a little sweet, a little spicy, and all good. Both sides would be worth going back for on their own merits.

The real star was the fish sammich. I had to run through the rain to get some Lactaid, but it was well worth it. Bacon, feta cheese, caesar dressing - take that, fish! Screw you and your healthy Omega-threes! Sloppy and delicious, I chased every last bit with my fork. This is definitely a five-napkin sandwich.

The space is very comfortable and I will definitely put it on the lunch rotation when the kids go back to school and the wife and I have more alone time.

The only negatives were the scarcity of parking and the neighborhood, which while more attractive than the old St. Thomas projects, are still home to some of the same predators. I was tempted to jump out of my car and pistol whip some manners into this shithead kid on the sidewalk glaring at me through the windshield for driving down his street.

Thanks Duke and Kimmie, whoever you were - that was one fine meal. Can't wait to try some barbeque next!

*sure enough, 3 fellas at the table next to me were dressed the same, complete with beard in need of trim and slightly-too-long crewcuts.
*not really
café au lait

Post by café au lait »

Pelican Six, you did not disappoint! J'anita's is somewhere I've yet to go, so you did them a good turn posting such a fine and detailed report.
kimmiethebeadwench

Post by kimmiethebeadwench »

Since Stu... ( our Breakfast Guru) won't be there today ( nor will be breakfast.... Bike race at City Park... priorities dammit) I will relay this to him and he will be most pleased...So be sad at no breakfast, but be willing to cheer him and his cohorts on!!!!!

P6... I was the one with the guac stained apron... thanks for the nice words...much appreciated