Recipe Request: Pork Loin & Figs?

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
JudiB

Recipe Request: Pork Loin & Figs?

Post by JudiB »

I've got a very pretty pork loin in the fridge... and am about to obtain some fresh figs....

I was wondering if I could incorporate these two somehow? Does anyone have any suggestions?
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
Admin

Re: Recipe Request: Pork Loin & Figs?

Post by Admin »

If someone has something, please start a new thread in Recipe Box with it. Thx.
gumbo lover

Post by gumbo lover »

I don't have a recipe, but Fine Dining has a few suggestions of methods with figs. You could make a sauce with sauted figs, for example. Another suggestion for a condiment for pork or poultry was a fig coulis (no recipe given-just ingredients) by pureeing the figs with balsamic, a little olive oil and salt and pepper. Add a little water if it's too thick.

Suggested wine and spirits to use in cooking figs were dry and sweet wines, brandy, rum, port and sherry.

Maybe you can concoct something and then share.
“It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato.” Lewis Grizzard
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

GASP!!

A polite... helpful admin? teehee... thank you very kindly Admin!

GL, thanks for that tip, you've given me a jumping off point. I'll check it out, and report back here next week. Hopefully by then I'll have a camera.

My main concern was what herbs to use that would compliment the figs, not SCREAM at them, lol. Is Isabella here yet? She's amazing with that imagination of hers.
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
gumbo lover

Post by gumbo lover »

Fine Dining recommends the following herbs and spices:

"Warm spices like cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, star anise, mint, rosemary, thyme and lavender."

Nuts: all kinds

Citrus and vinegars: particularly lemon, orange, grapefruit; balsamic, red wine and sherry vinegars.

Cured meats: Ham, pancetta and bacon

Dairy: butter, cream, mascarpone, creme fraiche and cheeses of all kinds, particularly blue, but including parmigiano-reggiana, ricotta, aged goat cheese and firm, tangy sheep's milk cheeses.
“It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato.” Lewis Grizzard
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

This recipe doe not have figs, but it is a really good, refreshing summer dish. You could cut the loin lenthwise =tenderloin size. Go to epicurious. com. search: Calyso pork tenderloin with black bean, hearts of palm and corn salad. It has a sauce made with fresh oj, ginger, shallots, brn sugar, allspice, bay. You will need to reduce it more than the recipe suggests. I have substituted canned artichokes for the hearts of palm. The sliced avacado is nice presentation wise, but not a necessary flavor component. BTW, the salad is nice to keep on hand to round out a menu when you're short on time.
ChefGuy

Post by ChefGuy »

JudiB
Look at the recipe for Filet with Port Wine and Figs on this board. Follow the recipe except roast the pork as you would normally do and follow the recepe from where you remove the protein and place on a serving platter.
hungryone

Post by hungryone »

Hmm, how about stuffing the pork loin with figs? I'd cook the figs down into a jammy consistency, flavored with some shallots and a little fresh thyme. Butterfly the loin, spread on the fig confit, and roll up the loin & roast as usual.