So the city finally lost René Bajeux

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
café au lait

So the city finally lost René Bajeux

Post by café au lait »

According to a blurb by Brett Anderson, reports are that René is in the Caribbean as executive chef at Cap Juluca, a luxury resort on the island of Anguilla in the British West Indies. What a loss!
Forget the apple - a café au lait a day keeps the doctor away!
Gourmondo

Re: So the city finally lost René Bajeux

Post by Gourmondo »

A big loss indeed. While the restaurant biz is in the August doldrums mode right now (I was one of only two occupied tables at RioMar for lunch today), I believe we have entered a shake-out period. We're at the three year point post-storm, the population has plateaued, the dynamics of the restaurant marketplace are stabilizing, a lot of big convention biz is gone, etc. so I have to think several chefs and restaurateurs are running the cost-benefit analysis to see if it's time to toss in the toque. I continue to be amazed at the embarrassment of riches that is our culinary scene in a city of 300K population, considering all the challenges we business owners have. We will continue to have a vibrant scene, but I suspect we're overdue for some casualties. Then again, the early summer was pretty busy a lot of places, so what do I know - I was pleasantly surprised at the level of street traffic every time I went down to the Quarter this summer. No complaints there.
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

I agree with Guormondo. We are due for some casualites.
paz5559

Post by paz5559 »

"We dance when there is no music. We drink at funerals. We talk too much, and live too large and, frankly, we’re suspicious of those who don’t." -Chris Rose
Duke

Post by Duke »

Hmmmm...

1) Remain in the same town and keep doing what you do for the same basic audience, or....

2) Go down-island, do the same thing in front of a new, easily-excited audience and work on your tan daily.

Tough choice.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

From what I understand, no one stays in the islands for long. Apparently it's hard to find ingredients, hard to find good help, ect. He'll probably be back :)
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
spudly

Post by spudly »

The area arounnd St. Maarten/Anguilla/St Barths is one of the richest islands in the caribbean. They get food stuffs regularly and directly from france. The best restaurants have a long line of french chefs just waiting to intern at these places. People that vacation (or have homes) on these islands hardly balk at prices charged.

He might eventually come back to the US, but I don't think NO.
Yvette

Post by Yvette »

Saw Rene in the airport last week as we and he were leaving town. He says this deal is very good for him. They also fly his family in to be with him every third week. He has a very sweet deal there. I wish him all the best.

From the impressions I got in our conversation, I don't think New Orleans is totally out of the question in the future....but the distant future.
Yvette
BTG

Post by BTG »

Not that it matters much, but Tom keeps saying there is a rumor out there that Rene will be coming back to be the hotel chef when the Waldorf Astoria(sp) opens up.
edible complex

Post by edible complex »

BTG wrote:Not that it matters much, but Tom keeps saying there is a rumor out there that Rene will be coming back to be the hotel chef when the Adolph Wisteria(sp) opens up.
http://blog.nola.com/times-picayune/200 ... ldorf.html

Waldorf Astoria, formerly known as the Fairmont New Orleans
After Mon & Tues, even the calendar says W-T-F!