Would you? Could you?

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
flyinbayou

Would you? Could you?

Post by flyinbayou »

Buy marked down products, especially meat/fish from a grocery store?

I came across some sockeye salmon today that was $1.99/lb. I know enough about fish to see and smell when it is bad. I bought a package that was 1.5lbs. to grill with a soft butter, lemon/dill sauce. Very non-intrusive.

I smelled it and, more importantly I gave it a tactile test. Pass! Then I seasoned it and grilled it. Oh my! It was delicious! The Thai beans complimented it nicely!

The "expiration" date on the package was tomorrow. (I know that expiration dates can be very subjective!)

Am I setting myself up? As I said, I like to think when I know when meat/fish has gone bad. I don't make it a regular practice but when I passed by and saw this, I figured, what do I have to lose? If it has any smell, $3. So what?

I also bought a 3 pack of NY strip steaks! Expiration 2 days from now. No discoloring. I was going to cut them up for a steak Diane but wanted to try one on the grill. Awesome!

Funny. I don't often wake up early (at least not in this city! I wanted milk for my coffee) and perhaps this is a norm.

Is this normal and safe or am I playing Georgian Roulette?
café au lait

Re: Would you? Could you?

Post by café au lait »

If you are diligent with your inspection, marked down meats can be a great buy. I have never bought marked down chicken or fish, but I never happen upon any at the meat counter. I have been buying reduced price steaks for years - and I mean years, over 20 for sure. Never had a problem.
Forget the apple - a café au lait a day keeps the doctor away!
NoNoNanette

Re: Would you? Could you?

Post by NoNoNanette »

I have and I shall continue to! :)

(MEAT, anyway...I'd be leary about seafood, but that's just me....I'm not really used to cooking the stuff....even after being down here for 25 years).

When in doubt, ring the butcher... they'll be honest with you.