Where to Eat in the Quarter for $

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
globe9

Where to Eat in the Quarter for $

Post by globe9 »

My GF and I always seem to find ourselves in the FQ(at least once a month, but sometimes more...already been down there 3 times this month). We always get hungry and can never think of a restaurant that is affordable and good that doesn't have a long wait. I suggest Acme a lot, but there's always a line of people outside. By affordable, I mean about $50(not including tip or drinks) for the both of us. I'm not expecting fine dining for this price, but something a little better than bar food or sandwich shops(re: Johnny's). Is there anything that fits this description?

I've lived here my whole life, but my parent's always took me to places like Galatoire's, Antoine's, and Brennan's. When the GF and I are down there, we're usually dressed VERY casually and also don't want to spend a lot of $$$.

Any suggestions?

We've done The Coffe Pot(were with a friend who's friend is the manager and still didn't find it all that good), The Alpine(good red beans and rice, but again, service was bad and nothing else on the menu really grabbed me), Checkered Parrot(GF's suggestion...chain place and we weren't really impressed). Is there anything that is more locally oriented and not a tourist trap? Off the beaten path is ok too. Also has to be in walking distance...we always park by the 8th District Station in the police zone between Royal and Chartes.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
mgbeads

Re: Where to Eat in the Quarter for $

Post by mgbeads »

Try Mena's Palace on the corner or Iberville and Chartres. Local cooking, sandwiches, lot of local color. Daily speicals plus regular menu. Mix between locals and visitors.
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

Petunia's, Coop's, Fiorella's (which I don't like that much but does have a following), Mona Lisa (good pizza), Port of Call. Nothing really on the tourist end of the Quarter meets your description but if you wanted to spend a tad more, eating Oysters at the bar at the Bourbon House or Red Fish Grill.
nolagirl

Post by nolagirl »

I like Eat New Orleans, Angeli, Cafe Amelie, El Gato Negro, Mona Lisa, Port of Call, Yo Mama's . . .
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

Good call on Yo Mama's. I haven't been there in awhile and it slipped my mind.
edible complex

Post by edible complex »

Sidebar Cafe at Exchange Alley
After Mon & Tues, even the calendar says W-T-F!
RouxTheDay

Post by RouxTheDay »

I haven't been in a while but Napoleon House fits what you're looking for.
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

Napoleon House is soooooo late 80s, early 90s. It hasn't been good in years.
jshushan

Post by jshushan »

Why not try the German place that recently opened next to Broussard's. Jager Haus. I've not been but have heard pretty good reports.

Jonathan
"He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Winston Churchill
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

Fiorella's is closed. Mr. B's is pretty inexpensive for lunch. Bistro at the Maison D' Ville, Galatoire's if you only have apps. or entrees, Redfish Grill, Johnny's.