Greek Grilled Kabobs

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
JudiB

Greek Grilled Kabobs

Post by JudiB »

justagirl and I have made quite a few luncheon trips to Acropolis on Vets highway. YUM. I've duplicated several of their dishes, this is one of my favorites for the summer.

Right now I have marinating in the fridge chunks of pork loin, chunks of tri-colored peppers, and a small box of fresh mushrooms in olive oil, pressed garlic, (about four), and chopped rosemary.

This evening I'll skewer them, sprinkle Greek Seasoning over them, and grill them. When they come off, I'll squeeze a lemon over it all.

We did this last week with chicken breasts and it was delicious! Very easy and light... doesn't heat up the kitchen... perfect for the summer.
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
NoNoNanette

Re: Greek Grilled Kabobs

Post by NoNoNanette »

Read this post yesterday and started to drool. Heading into the kitchen now to start marinating! :)
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Hi Judi-

Wanted to report back..... we loved these!

Used your marinade, mushrooms, chicken, vidalia onions, banana peppers...both mild and hot, and tomatoes out of the garden.

Knocked us out.

Your marinade is a "keeper". Many thanks! :)
dragongrrl

Post by dragongrrl »

What is Greek seasoning? Is it a mix you can buy? Or just a group of seasonings everybody knows is used in Greek food.
Now this is more like it.
café au lait

Post by café au lait »

dragongrrl wrote:What is Greek seasoning? Is it a mix you can buy? Or just a group of seasonings everybody knows is used in Greek food.
For me, Greek seasoning = Cavendar's, available in groceries on the spice shelf.
Forget the apple - a café au lait a day keeps the doctor away!
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

café au lait wrote:For me, Greek seasoning = Cavendar's, available in groceries on the spice shelf.
Just checked mine.... sure enuf.... Cavendar's. (I can't tell you how long I've had it, but am delighted to finally know what to do with it!) :)
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

I'm not sure if I got this at the International Market or Rouse's. But it was on the spice shelf....

It's Konriko, and it says "Authentic all purpose Greek Seasoning, no m.s.g. in a red and yellow shaker.

It looks quite authentic. teehee... The ingredients say Salt, Garlic, Black Pepper, Oregano, Sage and other spices. (I hate when they say that - "other spices" sheesh)

I was fairly generous with the seasoning because I liked the way it smelled, and I did NOT add salt already. I have to be careful with salt, & these mixes usually are loaded.

I'm so glad you liked it, nannette! Last week I grilled the chicken, then later in the week did pork medallions. I loved them both.
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

So good, that we're doing 'em again tonite! (using chicken again.... needed to get it out of the freezer).

Going to start with a couple of steamed artichokes with melted butter to dip.

Next time, will try pork. Really, Judi- this is a keeper! :)
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

I used to used Cavendar's when I was in high school . . . it goes way back.
But it now contains MSG.

I get my Greek Seasoning from the Greek Orthodox Church Ladies.

It's pure herbs & there's no salt & they blend it themselves.
I know the woman who blends it & she does it with love!

I usually buy plenty to share. If anyone wants some, PM me.
Maybe we can meet up for lunch one day to distribute!