Do you eat hogshead cheese?

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
ratcheese

Re: Do you eat hogshead cheese?

Post by ratcheese »

hungryone wrote:Slice of hogshead cheese, over a bowl of hot grits: no more "gelatinous" texture, just melty pork goodness.
Oh dear, you guys are getting out of my comfort zone with all the runny egg yolks and grits and so on. Maybe the gelatinous thing does make for some restrictions in my taste.

Come to think of it, the stuff I grew up on tended to be composed of chunkier parts of the head which gave it a toothier, gristlier texture. But because the pieces were chunkier, there was more gelatine to fill in the gaps. I also recall a distinctive clove component in the seasoning. German-style Souse is not spicy.

So maybe there is a difference in Cajun style--spicier, more finely chopped, and Jeeves even said, even pure pulled pork.

Last awesome stuff I had came from Baton Rouge. I wish I remembered where he bought it, but the place was supposed to be well known. Great spice, almost smooth texture.
Oyster

Re: Do you eat hogshead cheese?

Post by Oyster »

Jeeves wrote:Yup, Creole Country extra hot! Vaughn Schmidt and Deanie Bowen turn out some of the best. Smoked pulled pork, no mystery meat. I like it just dipped in a bit of Scratchmo's Creole Mustard (Contact Mrs. Fury for some). No crackers.
Do I eat hogshead cheese? Is a pig's azz pork?

Bingo! Love the stuff! I will eat any, but the hot/extra hot variety is like crack. Crack, I tell you! When I see the reddish tint, I know I have a good one. Pommes in St. Bernard used to be good, but the best I've had have been homade varietes.

Never thought to dip in mustard!