Lilette Saturday Lunch

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
spudly

Lilette Saturday Lunch

Post by spudly »

Found ourselves again in the city on a Saturday. We were looking at artwork on Julia St. for a friend and Lillette was open for lunch.

We were comfortably seated at a booth, given menus. We were somewhat promptly asked for our drink order which was 3 ice teas and a water. The waitress then proceeded to takeup the empty water glasses of those of us who ordered the tea, Whoa! Can we have water too? She put them back on the table. Also ordered a nice bottle of cote de rhone for $43 since their wines by the glass were rather highly priced. The whites by the glass were fairly bizarre/cheap, all with a hefty price for the quality or lack of. The waitress told us all the specials despite the fact they are prominately written on two huge blackboards. Then we were ignored for 15 minutes. Not a big thing.

They were full for lunch with a couple forced to eat at the bar.
Since this was our first time here the menu was new to us. We each ordered a appetizer which was:

grilled beets with goat cheese and walnuts
(very good, reliable combination and well presented on the plate)

mussels in a garlic /saffron sauce
(excellent, slightly thick sauce..serious garlic)

duck confit salad
the duck was smallish but the skin was perfectly crisped and the meat tender and well seasoned. It was accompanied with a wisp of over vinegared greens. It could have been better presented.)

anitipasti plate of homemade ricotta/mozarello, thin sliced cured ham and tuscan sausage with a few grape tomatoes thrown about. (For $15 this was not a serious endeavor on their part. No olives, olive oil or anything else. For what it was though, it was good)

The waitress actually took an appetizer plate from one of us before he was completely finished...very amusing...since our entrees were about to be bestowed.

Entrees that we had were the fried drum over flagelets and small diced carrots in a somewhat tart sauce. It was good but again, poorly plated as the fish lay flatly and directly on the plate on top of a single layer of sauced beans. I could be too picky here.

The hangar steak with a rich pesto-like sauce was outstanding. I didn't get a really good look at it but got a taste and was impressed.

I had the pork belly. It was good but it didn't look like others that I have had. Looked alot like pulled pork with extra fat. And it rested in a bowl with cold cucumbers, raw tomatoes strewn around with and an occasional basil leaf. Maybe this their idea of changing the menu. You tell me.

All was good but still a little disappointing. Service was college-girl snippy at times. I asked if they had espresso and was told yes. I could see a espresso machine where I was sitting but it did not appeared to be turned on. Got regular coffee in over filled espresso cups. Now that really burns me up. If you don't want to serve espresso then just don't do it.

All in all a nice/ok experience but not stellar.
bam bam

Re: Lilette Saturday Lunch

Post by bam bam »

Spudly,

Thank you for coming into the city and dining at one of our city's fine restaurants. I always enjoy your reviews.
PNG

Post by PNG »

We dined there once and agree with you on the service, though our server was much less attentive. The food was tasteless and very disappointing when we dined there.
AS WITH GOD, I TOO WORK IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS................
spudly

Post by spudly »

We had two bottles of wine and basically the sommelier stood around and talked to the hostess while we poured. The owner is losing money on that kid.

I thought the overall taste of everything was excellent and better than most, I also thought they could vastly improve their plating. I mean if you are genuinely proud of your food why not go the extra inch and make it look good on the plate?
jeff h

Post by jeff h »

spudly wrote:We had two bottles of wine and basically the sommelier stood around and talked to the hostess while we poured. The owner is losing money on that kid.
I thought the overall taste of everything was excellent and better than most, I also thought they could vastly improve their plating. I mean if you are genuinely proud of your food why not go the extra inch and make it look good on the plate?

False.