Riedel Tasting

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
justagirl

Riedel Tasting

Post by justagirl »

Friday night there was a great tasting at Cork and Bottle. Mr Georg Riedel was there. What a wonderful man. Jon put up some great wines (Jon, would you please list them here?) and Mr Riedel put up some great glasses. Everyone who attended got a set of Vitis: Riedel's highest machine-made lead crystal glass that is the pinnacle of modern stemmed-glass technology.

Now, I'm sure I'll run into some skeptics here, but hear me out. This was like the coolest magic show every. The wines we tried were poured into their proper glasses. The Chardonnay was in the Chardonnay glass and it tasted and smelled wonderful. But when the Chardonnay was poured in to the Reisling glass, it was no longer creamy and wonderful. Completely different aspects of the wine came out in taste, feel and smell. It was crazy. The wine was exactly the same (I know, we poured it back into the Chardonnay glass and it was wonderful again) but in the wrong glasses it tasted...well, wrong. And the same went for all the other wines/glasses.

He even put a dummy cup, a plastc cup on the set up. Any wine tasted like any wine you've ever gotten at a fair/festival/event. A Parker 95 wine tasted like $4 grocery store wine in it. I'm not kidding. In an regular everyday Riedel glass the wine was better, more like an 89, but still never as good as it was in it's proper glass.

I know, some of you are thinking, well Jag, you got sucked into buying all the proper glasses because he made you think the wine is better in each one. That's so not the case. The glasses came with the tasting.:p
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
bam bam

Re: Riedel Tasting

Post by bam bam »

I tasted Riedel once. I had the worst sore throat for a week.
café au lait

Post by café au lait »

Darn, I should have read my C & B email more closely - I didn't realize all that was involved. Wish I'd have signed up!
Forget the apple - a café au lait a day keeps the doctor away!
JonSmith

Post by JonSmith »

Yeah, that was a pretty amazing tasting. I'm a huge skeptic of those sorts of things, but when you experience it like we did it makes it hard to deny. That was a real highlight of my nearly 6 years as a retailer, a real highlight. Georg Riedel AND JAG in the same room, what a treat!

Anyway, the wines were:

2006 Domaine de la Perrier Sancerre AOC (Sauvignon Blanc from the Loire)
2005 Domaine Alain Chavy Puligny-Montrachet AOC (Chardonnay from Burgundy)
2004 Domaine de Courcel Pommard AOC (Pinot Noir from Burgundy)
2005 Hewitt Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa)

Amazing wines but showing their differences in different glasses was just amazing.
"I wonder...what the Vintners buy one half so precious as the stuff they sell." - Omar Khayyam