WW2 Museum new addition

Stuff To Do Around Town & Out In Da Parish. Where Ya Been? Whatcha Did?
Gourmondo

WW2 Museum new addition

Post by Gourmondo »

Ms. G and I took my Mom out to the WW2 soiree last night. The first stop was the American Sector, Besh's new restaurant. Last night it was set up with serving stations and servers passing through with various morsels. The roast brisket and potatoes were good, as was the oyster soup and shrimp creole. The praline cupcakes were pretty tasty too. There is a large rectangular bar in the middle of the room that had everything you could want. I have to say it is hard for me to envision how a museum restaurant can be much more than a glorified snack bar. I am sure the food will be good, but I wonder about filling the seats at that location.

The movie "Beyond All Boundaries" is really something, definitely worth seeing. The "4-D" effects add to the experience without being too gimmicky, with the possible exception of the "snow" during the Battle of the Bulge segment. There are a number of graphic scenes of death so this is not for young children. I think the film is successful in highlighting the sacrifices of our parents and grandparents - it does not glorify war at all.

The "Stage Door Canteen" floor show evokes the wartime venues of the same name that were in a number of cities. There is a cast of eight talented singers/dancers. It's exactly what you would expect - swing dancing, Andrews Sisters, lots of wartime music. My Mom (Newcomb '43) thought the young cast did a great job and so did I.

Irma Thomas and Deacon John did their thing in the large open area in the middle of the block. There was more food out there which we never got to sample. Overall, the new facility is a very handsome one that should be a great asset to the city for a long time to come. It's unfortunate that it comes too late for many of that era, like my father, to enjoy, but it was good to see some of the old-timers out there dancing and enjoying themselves.
bam bam

Re: WW2 Museum new addition

Post by bam bam »

I was going to go Friday night but then I saw that the guest list was every liberal who wants to provide cover for their anti-american, anti-war views by pretending to support a war, albeit one that ended 65 years ago, to thus give credibility to their current non-support for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

That being said, I am very excited to see the new additions.
NoNoNanette

Re: WW2 Museum new addition

Post by NoNoNanette »

Those effing' neo cons sicken me, Bam. Don'tcha LUV Tom Hanks?:rolleyes:
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."