Re-purposing wine?

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
café au lait

Re-purposing wine?

Post by café au lait »

At someone's suggestion, without tasting it, I purchased several bottles of Block 823. I do not care for it, and I'm wondering if I can use this wine to make sangria?
Forget the apple - a café au lait a day keeps the doctor away!
bdavid

Re: Re-purposing wine?

Post by bdavid »

Would you like to regift it? I could trade you some basil.
JonSmith

Post by JonSmith »

café au lait wrote:At someone's suggestion, without tasting it, I purchased several bottles of Block 823....
Ah, I only wish the archives were up so I could revisit the post where I called this wine a sham.
PNG

Post by PNG »

Technically you can use any wine for sangria. If you use a yucky wine in sangria and it tastes terrible, try using some Delaware Punch Concentrate to knock back the taste from the wine while adding a little grape flavor. This has worked for us in the past before we settled on one wine for sangria use.
AS WITH GOD, I TOO WORK IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS................
HomeMadeCajun

Post by HomeMadeCajun »

Is it an expensive wine? If so, save it for the holidays & give it to clients or something.

If not, then cook with it. I have sometimes bought wines that were inexpensive, & I didn't like them, but they are fine to cook with. You're just wanting the effect of the alcohol on the food (some seasonings are alcohol soluble) & the "essence" or the "richness" of the flavor of the wine.
Ship a taste of New Orleans anywhere! Visit my online store www.HomeMadeCajun.com
café au lait

Post by café au lait »

PNG wrote:Technically you can use any wine for sangria. If you use a yucky wine in sangria and it tastes terrible, try using some Delaware Punch Concentrate to knock back the taste from the wine while adding a little grape flavor. This has worked for us in the past before we settled on one wine for sangria use.
Not that this wine is 'yucky', I guess what I'm really asking is if there is a particular red for making sangria or will any red do? I love drinking sangria, but I've never made any myself. I just thought since I have this on hand, if it can be used as a base, I would make the sangria with it rather than buying something else.
PNG

Post by PNG »

Try an inexpensive Spanish Grenache or Graham's Six Grapes if you want something a little heavier. Basically find a Spanish red or white that you enjoy that does not cost very much.
AS WITH GOD, I TOO WORK IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS................
JonSmith

Post by JonSmith »

PNG wrote:Try an inexpensive Spanish Grenache .....
Inexpensive Spanish Grenache's are GREAT!

Look for one by Altimara called Los Dos or one by Castillo di Almansa. They're both under $9.

I'm out for the day, gotta go get ready for the seminar I'm hosting with Georg Riedel tonight.
café au lait

Post by café au lait »

I bought lots of Los Dos from you, so I have that on hand for sure. Thanks!