FIGS!

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Isabella Maja

Re: FIGS!

Post by Isabella Maja »

hungryone wrote:My next door neighbor brought over a dishpan of figs last week, and I made a fig upside down cake, cribbed from an Emeril recipe. You half or quarter the figs and cook in a black iron skillet with butter and brown sugar, then pour over a cake batter, pop in the oven, and bake until done. Just like pineapple upside down cake, but with figs. It was delicious.
That sounds divine! Do you have a link to a recipe or your own tweaked version? I'm getting ready to go pick figs next week!
hungryone

Post by hungryone »

Isabella Maja wrote:That sounds divine! Do you have a link to a recipe or your own tweaked version? I'm getting ready to go pick figs next week!
Izzy--here's the link: http://www.emerils.com/recipe/4161/Fres ... -Ice-Cream
My tweaks included 1)cooking the figs with brown sugar instead of white sugar, 2)cooking for a little longer than suggested, 3)using much less butter for the sauteed figs and 4)using a 12" black iron skillet (recipe didn't specify pan size). I also added some nutmeg and ground ginger to the cake batter.
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

hungryone wrote:Izzy--here's the link: http://www.emerils.com/recipe/4161/Fres ... -Ice-Cream
My tweaks included 1)cooking the figs with brown sugar instead of white sugar, 2)cooking for a little longer than suggested, 3)using much less butter for the sauteed figs and 4)using a 12" black iron skillet (recipe didn't specify pan size). I also added some nutmeg and ground ginger to the cake batter.
Excellent! Thanks Hungry One!

I like your tweaks!

BTW, do you ever encounter something called "Cake Spice"? I have some, it's almost gone. I never see it.
hungryone

Post by hungryone »

RE: cake spice, never seen it, but I have seen liquid flavorings like "bakery cake" etc in the King Arthur Baker's catalog.
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

hugryone, that sounds DELICIOUS! And so simple, too. I'm going to try it, thanks!

gumbolover, I don't get that magazine, if you try some of those recipes that you really like, would you post them for us, please?

Cocktailtime, I only saw figs in the grocery once. They were over ripe, too. I think you need to befriend someone with a tree. :)
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

I'm sure there are other sites, but this is the first one I found, Isabella,

http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/cake-spice
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

Suzy Wong wrote:I'm sure there are other sites, but this is the first one I found, Isabella,

http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/cake-spice
Thanks SW, I appreciate the tip!
The one I bought is a bit different, but the one you found sounds good too & I'll probably get some.

I use this in a variety of things & it adds just a bit of a zing & a twist!
Some of those things are: Butternut Squash Bisque, Spinach dishes & Spinach quiche and even some types of sauces & baked apples.

The cake spice that I have is made by Sauer.
Yes, the Duke's Mayonnaise folks!

The ingredients on the label: Allspice, Cinnamon, Coriander, Ginger, Nutmeg.

I must have really liked it because all I have left is about 1/4 t.