Tonight's dinner

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
justagirl

Tonight's dinner

Post by justagirl »

I bought some eggplant tonight at the Mid City Market. Good thing I got there when I did, I bought the last three. I chopped that and combined it with onion, garlic, seasoning and black bean sauce to create this..served over brown basmati rice:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb13 ... 000326.jpg

I sauteed the onions first (in olive oil), added some mushed and roughly chopped garlic, seasoning, then the eggplant. Let this simmer a while in some white wine then added some garlic chili sauce and black bean sauce (little did I know there is garlic chili sauce in the black bean sauce so don't do that), I let that simmer til the rice was done. Oh, I added some cubes of fish also. This wasn't intential, I had some filets in the fridge that I needed to use up tonight. I considered just pan frying them and serving along side, but then decided to try it this way. It actually made the think that bay scallops would have been an excellent choice.

The Semillon wasn't the best choice of wine for this dinner. Actually, the Gewurztraminer at Cork and Bottle's tasting tonight (2006 Gewurztraminer, Oak Ridge) would have been perfect.

The bean sauce was a tad salty, so if you use it, be careful how you season. I seasoned as I normally would anyway and it was a tad salty but it was fine to me.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
Shannon

Re: Tonight's dinner

Post by Shannon »

That looks good! Got any left for me? :p

I forgot that I'd said I was going to try this. I've got a couple of eggplant left in the fridge from last week. They may be going bad.

I have a peice of leftover chicken and no sides (the kids ate). I think you've inspired me to run to the fridge to see if I can whip this up. It would be a good side with the chicken, especially if I only have a bit of eggplant.

Did you add fish to it? What's the white?