Charlie's Seafood

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Lucie

Re: Charlie's Seafood

Post by Lucie »

Dear Jerry,
All ADA improvements must be met when there is a major renovation. In this case, the new Charles Seafood walked in to a turn key situation. Paint and fixtures do not warrant these changes. As their business increases, which it should, they will probably add such accomodations.
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

We had dinner here this evening. We all had the same thing though...so all I can say is that their fried shrimp platter is good! I wasn't very impressed with the cole slaw....but, the shrimp and fries were great. I didn't try the bread, but Caleb and Doug said the bread was hard as a rock.

The place is very clean and the service was fine. We were the only customers in the place at 4:30. We'll definitely go back. I will get the seafood salad next time.
LauraMc

Post by LauraMc »

Parking has always been an issue there and the neighborhood has always raised hell about it. Hope that lot across the street stay empty or they let them buy it for parking.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

LauraMc wrote:The ladies room was no problem but I can see how the mens would be. I don't know what is underneath that upper section with the small bar and dining room but it has always been raised. I took it that there was some structural reason they couldn't flatten it to the rest of the building.
The building was possible not a restaurant in it's early years and did not have public restrooms.
The raised floor could likely be the work of a do-it-yourself plumber who installed the restrooms, bar plumbing, etc...making the job easier than below ground.
Jerry Sherlock / Jazz Boutique
JazzBoutique.net
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

LauraMc wrote:Parking has always been an issue there and the neighborhood has always raised hell about it. Hope that lot across the street stay empty or they let them buy it for parking.
I noticed they've put a sign on the front door to please not park in the residential area on the street.
Pete

Post by Pete »

kcdixiecat wrote:I noticed they've put a sign on the front door to please not park in the residential area on the street.
I know this is something of a tangent but I hate people who get territorial about others parking on their street.
EatinAintCheatin

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

Went there for lunch today around 12:30. It was about 1/2 full. Our server was a very young, very green waiter/kid. Nice kid but really needs some experience.

We ordered 2 beers, a large roast beef (to split) and some onion rings. Server came back and said they were out of our beers so we chose another. He brought mine right, but brought my wife the wrong beer. She drank it anyway.

Roast beef came out, waiter forgot to place the order for the rings so we skipped them. Probably a good thing since I ate fried food last night and will have some more tonight.

The sandwich was incredible. Has to be one of the best roast beefs I've had in years. Perfectly home cooked beef, very generous amount, and the gravy was tasty. Finely shredded lettuce, toasted French bread, pickles and 2 slices of ripe tomotoes on each half. This place puts out some great food.

Again, it's very worth going there for the food just expect kid waiters.
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx
LauraMc

Post by LauraMc »

Going for my birthday dinner tonight!
jshushan

Post by jshushan »

I made it for lunch on Saturday. Been offline since Friday.

Gumbo- Medium brown color. Shrimp, Oysters and Sausage. Thickened with okra cooked till it fell apart. It didn't seem to have any roux but was just thickened by the okra. The shrimp were unusually large for gumbo. It was great. I'm not surprised as anyplace owned by Frank Brightsen should have good gumbo.

"Dirty Boy" sandwich. It was dirty rice "mix" with no rice. Very rich. Very tasty on a pistolette. I ordered two as they're 3.95 each and that didn't sound like enough for lunch. One was plenty. They're very rich. Had the other one for dinner.

Fries- House cut and fried fresh. Not as hot as they could have been but still extra crispy. These aren't in the same ballpark as Cafe Degas or La Boca as they are thicker cut and not quite as good but they'll do fine under the circumstances.

Only problem was time. I got there about 11:15 and the place was half full and filled up by 11:30 or 45. It took a long time for the gumbo to come out. After that the sandwich and fries came quickly but they took their time getting started.

All in all, when I'm back in the area, I"ll go back. I don't know if I'd drive all the way from the LGD to Harahan for it. It's good but not that much better than other joints. They did tell me the menu will expand and get a bit more interesting when they get the basics down.

Jonathan
"He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Winston Churchill
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

We were the only people in the restaurant and the service was still really slow. There seemed to be a lot of employees...but, everyone was standing around talking.

jshushan wrote:I made it for lunch on Saturday. Been offline since Friday.

Gumbo- Medium brown color. Shrimp, Oysters and Sausage. Thickened with okra cooked till it fell apart. It didn't seem to have any roux but was just thickened by the okra. The shrimp were unusually large for gumbo. It was great. I'm not surprised as anyplace owned by Frank Brightsen should have good gumbo.

"Dirty Boy" sandwich. It was dirty rice "mix" with no rice. Very rich. Very tasty on a pistolette. I ordered two as they're 3.95 each and that didn't sound like enough for lunch. One was plenty. They're very rich. Had the other one for dinner.

Fries- House cut and fried fresh. Not as hot as they could have been but still extra crispy. These aren't in the same ballpark as Cafe Degas or La Boca as they are thicker cut and not quite as good but they'll do fine under the circumstances.

Only problem was time. I got there about 11:15 and the place was half full and filled up by 11:30 or 45. It took a long time for the gumbo to come out. After that the sandwich and fries came quickly but they took their time getting started.

All in all, when I'm back in the area, I"ll go back. I don't know if I'd drive all the way from the LGD to Harahan for it. It's good but not that much better than other joints. They did tell me the menu will expand and get a bit more interesting when they get the basics down.

Jonathan