Anyone been to Mosca's lately?

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
bam bam

Anyone been to Mosca's lately?

Post by bam bam »

And was it worth the hassle?
buzd

Re: Anyone been to Mosca's lately?

Post by buzd »

I was there around jazzfest, and no.

Food was all pretty good, but you can do so much better. Ambience and adventure didn't make up for the mediocre food, limited wine options, and marginal service.
BTG

Post by BTG »

buzd wrote: limited wine options, and marginal service.
I have only been once and that was my thoughts. I guess some places just don't work for some people and that whole atmosphere and such just didn't do it for me. I usually like to try a few appetizers and such and they had very few. I don't like drinking wine out of those little glasses.

I did get the feeling the time I dined there that I was doing them a favor by being there. The cash only policy is something that will drop any place down a few notches in a hurry for me also.
willifred

Post by willifred »

Actually glad to see that I'm not the only one that doesn't get it.I pretty much can cook a chicken that good or better, shrimp too, and the oysters are just straight forward, little to get excited about. I have friends that think this place is THE out of town , short road trip. I'll take Middendorfs, Trey Yuen, or Youngs for a quick little ride anytime over Moscas.
Pete

Post by Pete »

I love it but I'm a dago so it's right up my alley. I actually prefer to drink wine out of those short glasses they give you. I love their shrimp, oysters, sausage, spaghetti bordelaise, and wop salad. Good steak, too. A lot of people love their marinated crabs but I don't like picking crabs that are covered in oil. I think the key move at this place is to go with a big crowd, drink a lot, and eat a little of everything. The food is all stuff a pretty good cook could make at home but sometimes it's nice to sit back and have somebody do it for you, especially if you've been doing a lot of drinking that day.
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

BTG,

I am with you on the cash only. Colossal pain in the ass.
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

I have not been in a long time (10 years or so). The last time I went, we went in a large group and had a good time. Food was not spectacular, but good.

I do not get the cash only thing. That cries out tax cheat to me.

I doubt I would ever go again.
edible complex

Post by edible complex »

love eating food off those bigass hubcaps they have for serving dishes!
and yes, only in large groups does ordering there make sense.
After Mon & Tues, even the calendar says W-T-F!
hungryone

Post by hungryone »

Shrimp mosca is still quite tasty, but it pains me greatly to pay $32 for an order of (about a pound) of 16-14 shrimp....when I know that the shrimper is getting $2.50/lb. And why is the sausage stuffer always broken? Take the damn sausage off the menu already...
Pete

Post by Pete »

hungryone wrote:Shrimp mosca is still quite tasty, but it pains me greatly to pay $32 for an order of (about a pound) of 16-14 shrimp....when I know that the shrimper is getting $2.50/lb. And why is the sausage stuffer always broken? Take the damn sausage off the menu already...
I have to agree. The beauty of going with a big crowd (and a head full of booze) is not knowing how much you've paid for each dish.

I just realized I didn't answer the original question. If you liked Mosca's the last time you went, it's worth the drive. It's exactly the same as it's always been, other than that broken sausage stuffer.