Ice cream malt

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
chefairline

Ice cream malt

Post by chefairline »

Where can I get a good chocolate malt?

Not a shake, but one in which you can actually taste the malt flavoring. The ice cream doesn't have to be hand dipped, soft serve is okay. IMO, the secret is the chocolate and the malt.
buzd

Re: Ice cream malt

Post by buzd »

I'm not a fan of malt (except in beer) myself, but try Creole Creamery on Prytania.
nolagirl

Post by nolagirl »

Creole Creamery is a good suggestion -- they make very good malts. Also La Divina, too. The real secret to a great chocolate malt is to make sure they use vanilla ice cream and flavor it with chocolate syrup -- if they use chocolate ice cream, it's all wrong.
PNG

Post by PNG »

Malts are best made at home with vanilla ice cream, which has been mentioned and I agree, and some form of good chocolate for flavor. Purchase the malt at wal-mart and bust up the blender. I like shortbread cookies and peanut butter ground up in my malts on occasion.
AS WITH GOD, I TOO WORK IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS................
BTG

Post by BTG »

Believe it or not, the one I get from Sals snoball stand on Metairie Rd. is good.
hungryone

Post by hungryone »

Frostop on Claiborne....a sure-fire way to find out if you're lactose-intolerant.
chefairline

Post by chefairline »

BTG wrote:Believe it or not, the one I get from Sals snoball stand on Metairie Rd. is good.
Thanks for the suggestion. Since they are across the street from my bank, I think I'll try one this afternoon. I'll give you a report.
PNG

Post by PNG »

Remember that those big straws that are used with bubble tea are great for malts and shakes, especially thick ones. They can be purchased at many Asian and other markets for very little money.
AS WITH GOD, I TOO WORK IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS................
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

I love a chocolate malt. I make them at home at least once a week (5 oz milk, three heaping tablespoons of malt powder, dash of vanilla extract of paste, three or 4 heaping scoops of vanilla ince cream, blended thick).

As far as buying one somewhere, I think Badeaux's in Madisonville is the best. Better than the fancy ice cream parlors, I think. I remember when they were 52 cents (50 cents plus tax; then they went to 54 cents as the tax doubled). We rode our bike and or boat to ge them in Covington (now gone) or Madisonville). Now they are like $3.00+, but worth it.
chefairline

Post by chefairline »

chefairline wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. Since they are across the street from my bank, I think I'll try one this afternoon. I'll give you a report.
I was disappointed. It lacked chocolate and a potent malt flavor.