FQ Fest, Abita Beer and Jazzfest

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Turbodog

FQ Fest, Abita Beer and Jazzfest

Post by Turbodog »

It is so nice, knowing that when I go to FQ Fest this weekend, I will be able to drink Abita Beer, instead of Miller (or Bud, or Coors) swill.

It would be so nice if Jazzfest would do something different with the beer there. I know it will never happen (the festival is becoming more nationa;/corporate and less local each year), but it would be nice. A beer tent, with all the local brews would be awesome, and it probably wouldn't hurt beer sales at the Accura stage (the people who hang there all days apparently love to drink the swill), where the great majoority of beer sales occur at the festival.

Oh well, just wishing out loud for better brew at Jazzfest. Just one more reason why I probably won't be attending every day as I always have.

Also, being free, I have much more money to spend on good beer at FQ Fest. If you love local musical acts, FQ fest is awesome. A much better venue to see/enjoy local acts, for free.

I am interested in some national acts at Jazzfest (Kings of Leon, Third World, Wilco, Spoon, Neil Young, etc.), and will go see some of them. however, I am so not interested in Joe Cocker (not even good back in the day), Dave Matthews (bland yuppie crap) or Tony Bennet (what? why?). The scheduling at Jazzfest also leaves a lot to be desired (why Los Lobos up agsint Neil young (and Dash Rip rock at the same time also?),
BTG

Re: FQ Fest, Abita Beer and Jazzfest

Post by BTG »

I agree about the beer at Jazzfest and wish you guys could work out something where one small booth could sell Abita.
Same with going to a Saints game. I thought I remember having that option at one time, but last year I couldn't fine any good beer.

I very much enjoyed my Abitas after the Crescent City Classic this weekend. You guys must have given a ton of beer away but that is alot of good will generated.
JRO

Post by JRO »

Ya hit the nail on the head with that post TD. I will be at FQF all 3 days. And I also prefer the beer choice at FQF, but also local stores or bars have whatever beer you choose. I like to drink the Southern Comfort mango freeze at FQF, this year I will also pack 1/2 pint of SOCO to add a floater of my own.
Blue Cross Sux

Post by Blue Cross Sux »

Last year or so, Jazz Fest carried Pilsner Urquell and a Liengukuehls (sp?) Summer Harvest on tap. They'll probably have it again.

The best bet is to do what I do and sneak in what you want. I bring in an assortment of my favorite ales, porters, etc., along with a few soft coolers stacked with ice packs and blocks of ice (which is legal), then put the beer in the coolers once I'm safely inside. You can bring in a six pack per person without much of a problem. Beats the hell out of having to suck on a crappy can of faux beer for $3.50 a pop.

A half pint of high end liquor also goes well with the Strawberry lemonades.
Hadacol

Post by Hadacol »

Leinenkugel is owned by Miller (since 1988) and Pilsener Urquell is owned Miller as well. Beyond that, P.U. is now brewed in several places in Central Europe and has ceased to be a "local" brand.

Pretty much, if it doesn't belong to Miller, you ain't gonna see it on Gentilly Blvd. Ever, or at least not for a long, long time.

I would like to say that Turbodog did lead, for years, one of the best beer sneaking scams in the known universe. It included free delivery,free ice, and air conditioning. Those were the days. Get in free, drink free, go home happy.
peychaud

Post by peychaud »

Turbodog wrote: I am interested in some national acts at Jazzfest (Kings of Leon, Third World, Wilco, Spoon, Neil Young, etc.), and will go see some of them. however, I am so not interested in Joe Cocker (not even good back in the day), Dave Matthews (bland yuppie crap) or Tony Bennet (what? why?). The scheduling at Jazzfest also leaves a lot to be desired (why Los Lobos up agsint Neil young (and Dash Rip rock at the same time also?),
Neil Young is the only must-see national act for me this year. I think it's interesting that Wilco, Spoon, Kings of Leon and Drive By Truckers are all recent Voodoo Fest performers. Maybe Quint is learning a thing or two in his old age.

Turbo, you might be interested in this year's Ponderosa Stomp. One of the nights features Roy Loney and Cyril Jordan of the original Flamin' Groovies.
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

Yes, Hadacol, those were the days. Jazzfest was never better than back then. I wish we could do it like that again, just oneyear, for old times sake. I really just don't drink that much out there anymore. I will go for the PU once in a while, but it is really out of my way, as I don't often tgo to the slab (I prefer the grass). I do love the strawberry lemonade with some rum (required for reggae).

Peychaud, I me tthe producer of the Stomp in Austin at SWSW. I will try to make it for Roy and Cyril and some "Teenage Head". The inclusion of Spoon (I played 'em on the radio in 1997), Kings of Leon (my 17 year old's favorite band, along with Black Keys; my college boys are pretty much in agreement), DBT's (I wish they were alone and not with Booker T), Wilco, etc., is part of the nationaliztion/diversification (move away from localization) I was discussing.

They need more reggae! Third World is great, but Toots was booked and cancelled without an approopriate replacement.
BTG

Post by BTG »

I guess I should show that I am not a total hypocrite and admit that I will be selling the swill next weekend at the fest. It is a fundraiser dealio for the men's club at my daughter's school. I will be getting to hang at the fest for free after my shift and can drink while working, so I guess I should thank Miller for helping us.

I will be trying to sneak in real beer the following weekend though.
Blue Cross Sux

Post by Blue Cross Sux »

BTG wrote: the men's club at my daughter's school
The mind reels.
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

Blue Cross Sux wrote:The mind reels.

I think that was said in jest.
If not, you are not from here. Not that NOLA has a lock on Men's Clubs or Women's Co-Ops, both which do admiral, if not underappreciated jobs of keeping our kids' schools in the green.
Are there not parent organizations at your kids' schools that help with fund raising events (fairs, galas, etc.) and other projects that help with the schools' needs?