Macaroni and Cheese(3 cheese pasta bake)

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
kcdixiecat

Macaroni and Cheese(3 cheese pasta bake)

Post by kcdixiecat »

My 21 year old son has been visiting this summer and I've made this twice while he's been here. I think it's the best macaroni and cheese I've ever eaten. This past week when I made it..I just threw in all of the little pieces of cheese that I had in the fridge..kind of a hodge podge..but OMG..it was wonderful!

1 (8 oz) package penne pasta1 tbsp butter1 tbsp flour1 1/2 cups milk1/2 cup half and half1/2 cup (4oz) shredded white cheddar cheese1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese1 cup (8 oz) shredded Gruyere cheese, divided*1 tsp salt1/4 tsp pepperPinch of ground nutmeg 1. Preheat oven to 350. Prepare pasta according to package directions.2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and half and half; cook, whisking constantly, 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheddar cheese, parmesan, 1/2 gruyere cheese, and next 3 ingredients until smooth.3. Stir together pasta and cheese mixture, and pour into a lightly greased baking dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese.4. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until golden and bubbly. * Swiss cheese may be substituted. Note: To make ahead, proceed with recipe sa directed through Step 3. (Do not top with remaining Gruyere cheese) Cover and chill up to 8 hours. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly. Increase oven temperature to 400. Top pasta mixture with remaining Gruyere cheese, and bake 10 minutes or until golden.
café au lait

Post by café au lait »

dixie, I've been craving some homemade mac n cheese for a while now. This looks positively sinful. When I can get up the courage to eat something with that much cheese, I'm going to try it. Thanks.
Forget the apple - a café au lait a day keeps the doctor away!
kcdixiecat

Re: Macaroni and Cheese(3 cheese pasta bake)

Post by kcdixiecat »

Oh honey! It is AMAZING. It's so good that I was tempted to make it again tonight for dinner..but shamed myself out of it. I'm going back to Kentucky this week to spend a couple of weeks with my mom...so this is one recipe I've already made sure is on my laptop...so I can fix it for her...grins..good excuse to have it again!
jodyrah

Re: Macaroni and Cheese(3 cheese pasta bake)

Post by jodyrah »

OMG! You're killing me (we are low carbing...nfl).