River Road

Stuff To Do Around Town & Out In Da Parish. Where Ya Been? Whatcha Did?
Jeeves

River Road

Post by Jeeves »

River Road has delighted me since I first started driving and that's quite a while ago. If you're at a loss for something to do it's a good way to while away an afternoon on a road trip. Before you start I'd recommend a book by Mary Ann Sternberg, Along the River Road, for anyone familiar with the area or not. The author outlines routes from New Orleans to Baton Rouge and back, on both sides of the River, with mileage indicators pointing out historical and cultural points of interest. There are several good restaurants along the way. Sometimes we stop at a country store for something to eat on the levee, or at a snowball stand for a cool treat.

Here's a link to some pictures we took on a recent trip to Convent, La http://picasaweb.google.com/hsharmison/StJamesParishDaytrip

If you can't decide what to do with yourself, let the River Road entertain you.
Mrs. Fury

Post by Mrs. Fury »

Hey! See you tomorrow on da Rivah Road!
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

Mrs. Fury wrote:Hey! See you tomorrow on da Rivah Road!
I heard dat! Shall we start with apps of Crawtators at the Gramercy Visitors Center and maybe a "cakebatter snowball" in Wallace under the bridge?

Mrs. F. scoring a bag o' Zappe's from the hospitality lady at the Gramercy Hospitality Center.
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

Today's St. James Parish road trip didn't come off well as we all too late discovered our favorite place to eat, B & C Seafood in Vacherie, apparently has closed its doors for good! And there was absolutely nothing else available for Sunday afternoon dining, not even in Donaldsonville. We headed back to the East Bank and stopped at Cajun Village near Gonzales for a late lunch. I had a bowl of chicken and andouille gumbo, generous with the chicken and stingy with the andouille. A passable chef salad with a nice amount of good ham and roast beef! Mrs. Fury settled for a club sammich. I won't recommend the place. If y'all find yourselves in the neighborhood go to Hymel's on River Road in Convent instead. They have real old time crawfish bisque with STUFFED HEADS!

Most of our weekend daytrips turn out nice, but once in a while you get thrown a curve. We enjoyed the ride and the sights most of all.

Here are links to our photo albums:

Mine:
http://picasaweb.google.com/hsharmison/StJamesParishDaytrip02

and Mrs. Fury's:
http://picasaweb.google.com/girlygirl2969/HolyAngelInAvondaleUpRiver
Mrs. Fury

Post by Mrs. Fury »

We shoulda ate at McDonald's. Other than that it was mucho fun-o.
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
Jeeves

Re: River Road

Post by Jeeves »

Mrs. Fury wrote:We shoulda ate at McDonald's......
Or, as Chef Maria calls it, McDeath's! :D
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

Wallace! That's it! That's the name of the town I have been trying to think of!

Mardi Gras afternoon I had a wild hair & decided to take a ride with the sunroof & windows open as it had just gotten warm enough that day.

I just rode, not expecting to go far, I just felt like going for a cruise. I got as far as Wallace & decided to turn back.

I did check out a church & cemetary, but it had gotten dark already & well, you know. ;)

I've been trying to think of the name of that town since MG!

Thanks Jeeves!
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

I remember that from when we were looking for Rita's ancestors at St. Mary's Chapel in Union, LA and I thought you were talking about the area of the Sunshine Bridge. One more bridge upriver is the Veterans Memorial Bridge between Gramercy and Wallace.

So glad you finally have your answer, Isa!
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com