Running of the Bulls New Orleans-style

Stuff To Do Around Town & Out In Da Parish. Where Ya Been? Whatcha Did?
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

I went to this last year and I'll definitely be there again this Saturday morning. It was so much fun! Come on yall...meet me out there!

Posted by Chris Rose

Catch the Big Big Easy Rollergirls "Running of the Bulls" New Orleans-style. Participants will flee 30 skaters of the Big Easy Rollergirls armed with Wiffle bats. The run starts at the corner of Conti and Burgundy streets on Saturday (July 12) at 8 a.m., followed by a celebration at the Gazebo Cafe, 1018 Decatur St. Free.

The debut run was last July -- timed to coincide with the Pamplona event -- and by word of mouth and e-mail alone, the event drew 13 "bulls" and about 200 runners. This year, 33 Rollergirls have signed on for the event. It is unknown how many fools will show up at 8 a.m. for the run.

The second annual Running of the Bulls, New Orleans-style, will be Saturday morning, beginning at the Three-Legged Dog Saloon (400 Burgundy St.) and winding up at The Gazebo Cafe in the French Market, where there will be an after-party with DJs spinning skater-friendly tunes.

Archbishop Pummel points out: "For any late risers, the Rollergirls will be available to hurt you at the Gazebo." (There's also a pre-party tonight at the Rio-Mar restaurant on St. Peter Street in the Warehouse District; the long-term goal for nolabulls.com is to make this a full-fledged three-day festival celebrating Spanish culture. And I'm not making that up.)

The debut Running of the Bulls, New Orleans-style, was last July -- timed to coincide with the Pamplona event -- and by word of mouth and e-mail alone, the event drew 13 "bulls" and about 200 runners. This year, 33 Rollergirls have signed on for the event.But take note: There have been minor changes instituted this year from last. First of all, the group actually got a police permit for the event; that's one way to diminish liability should some unsuspecting tourist get "gored."

And they have dispensed with the swimming pool noodles as weapons. "The idea is that you have to have an element of danger," Hanning said. "And pool noodles simply don't cut it."

Anyone may participate in the event. (Even children, the organizers say, but I'm thinking: Bad idea.) There is no charge. And, as to why anyone would go through all the trouble to stage such a bizarre event so far from its native environs, Hanning offers the appropriate response.

The Run

What: Running of the Bulls New Orleans-style. Participants will flee 30 skaters of the Big Easy Rollergirls armed with Wiffle bats

Where: The run starts at the corner of Conti and Burgundy streets

When: Saturday at 8 a.m., followed by a celebration at the Gazebo Cafe, 1018 Decatur St.

Cost: Free
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

It was a blast, just like last year only bigger and better! lol

http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb13 ... ls%202008/

The first two are video. The last few should be at the beginning..so yeah, it's kind of out of order...but you get the gist of it.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
Schuarta

Re: Running of the Bulls New Orleans-style

Post by Schuarta »

Thanks for your great photo coverage!
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

You are welcome. Here's a great video from you tube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r-TGmxKx7M

You can see just how many runner there were.
Mrs. Fury

Post by Mrs. Fury »

Jag that looks like so much fun. I'm going to have to add that to my list of festivities to attend next year!
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
Alex

Post by Alex »

did anyone get the score from Pamplona? Last I checked it was Bulls 38 and Humans 0.
Sine qua non
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

It's early Mrs Fury. Both years I left my house at 6.30 and was in the quarter at a quarter to 7, but it was over and I was out of there by 9-9:30..could me earlier if I wasn't a social butterfly.
Mrs. Fury

Post by Mrs. Fury »

Forget that. It is no longer on my list. I guess with this heat you'd have to have it early.
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

justagirl wrote:It's early Mrs Fury. Both years I left my house at 6.30 and was in the quarter at a quarter to 7, but it was over and I was out of there by 9-9:30..could me earlier if I wasn't a social butterfly.
JAG, I should have known you would be there and should have PM'd you to look out for us!

I am happy to report that even though I ran the entire route not 1 drop of blood or, more importantly, bloody mary was spilled!

We had a great time although next year we will plan a little better since the concessions at the post party were near impossible to get!

We ended up at the Kerry for some cross-cultural indoc and then at El Gato Negro for what I thought was going to be brunch, but the tables were full and we stood there and drank our breakfast as we visited others(excellent sangria, btw!)

It was a good morning that continued into an awesome afternoon!

Definitely will do it again next year and we'll try to make the pre-party at Rio Mar.