Best Girl Band

Live & In Person, On CD or MP3
Mac da Knife

Re: Best Girl Band

Post by Mac da Knife »

Agreed TD.

The Normals *were* the signature rock band.
“When you say, ‘I wrote a program that crashed Windows,’ people just stare at you blankly and say, ‘Hey, I got those with the system, for free.’” - Linus Torvalds
Mac da Knife

Post by Mac da Knife »

I'll tell ya something else that I'm sure I'll get heat for, but really, I don't give a sh*t.

I liked the St. Louis Sheiks.
There. I said it.

I thought they were WAY talented.
Yep.
“When you say, ‘I wrote a program that crashed Windows,’ people just stare at you blankly and say, ‘Hey, I got those with the system, for free.’” - Linus Torvalds
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

One of my best friends loved the Shieks, so I saw them a lot. Damn fine group. Very good musicians. Michael O'Hara and the boys. I partied with those guys a few times.
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

GuySajerForgottenSoldier wrote:Shades of Blue is undoubtedly the most musically talented band of any listed in this thread. Just look at those gals!
They have all passed away, Guy, with the exception of Hot Lips. She just turned 94 this month and is still a hell raiser. You should hear her stories of when they were on the road doing one-nighters! Image Ernie was a very lucky young man!
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
globe9

Post by globe9 »

I really like:

1. The Veronica's
2. Veruca Salt
3. The Donna's
4. Luscious Jackson
5. Sugababes
6. Hole

As for 80's era New Orleans bands...I LOVE The Press. Great band! U2 actually opened for The Press at Jimmy's(I think it was Jimmy's).
JRO

Post by JRO »

Turbodog wrote:One of my best friends loved the Shieks, so I saw them a lot. Damn fine group. Very good musicians. Michael O'Hara and the boys. I partied with those guys a few times.
Very good band IMO, saw them many times.
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

Back to the girl band topic, I forgot a really good one.

I saw these girls (and met a couple of them) at the Bloodshot Records annual SXSW afternoon party at the Yard Dog (Art Gallery) in Austin, March 18, 2007 (I think that was the date). The band is the Gore Gore Girls, from Detroit. They rock, with plenty of attitude.
cstoehr

Post by cstoehr »

What, no Dixie Chicks? just kidding

I would have to say Heart.
Mac da Knife

Post by Mac da Knife »

Actually, I think The Dixie Chicks are not only quite good, but have made serious headway for female musicians.

Unfortunately, their politics distract from their talent.
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

I totally agree on the Dixie Chicks, Mac. Way talented. I don't listen to them at all anymore, although I do own several of their records. I particlarly like White Trash Wedding. Loyd Maines (Emily's brother) is a top player in texas and a great producer.